Seizures and Temperament

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Nancy Bartol

Seizures and Temperament

Post by Nancy Bartol » Wed May 09, 2001 6:39 am

My two dogs have apparent familial focal seizures and recently had EEG�s. Both were given a light sedative prior to testing. My male settled in and took a nap; my female fought the sedative and would periodically change her position, going through her typical attention grabbing antics. She is very strong-willed while my boy is soft-hearted. What struck me is that their reactions to the sedative relate to their seizure behavior. My boy lies down when he has a seizure, appears calm and waits them out � doing so he�s up and fine in a matter of minutes. My girl�s seizures are much longer, more pronounced, and her recovery time is longer. I�m wondering if she is fighting the seizure, just like when she fought the sedation.

Is there published literature exploring a relationship between personality (temperament), learning, and seizure control? Any thoughts that dogs can learn to control their seizures?