Using Ice Packs before/during seizure

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

jschrader

Using Ice Packs before/during seizure

Post by jschrader » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:31 am

I read that applying an ice pack to the dogs middle back before and during a seizure can decrease the severity of the seizure, and sometimes even stop it if you notice the pre-optical signs before it happens.

Has anyone heard this, or tried it with any success?

Yukon has seizures almost every 2 weeks to the date, and is on 1500mg Keppra and 97.2mg pheno 3x a day. Today it will be 2 weeks since he had a cluster of 7 seizures. On Saturday, I noticed he was standing and saw his mouth do some odd movements, similar to when he starts into a seziure. I tried the ice pack and it only lasted for about 5 seconds and he never had a seizure.

Also this morning, I put his food down (and he always wolfs down his kibble) and he just looked at it, so I thought he was going to start a seizure, so I tried the ice pack again. It never happened, and so far today no seizures.

I am not sure if this has anything to do with the ice pack, or if that is all nonsense. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

sibesaver

Re: Using Ice Packs before/during seizure

Post by sibesaver » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:49 am

Following because I've heard the same thing. I tried it during one of his last grand mals and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Topaz 4.5yo Siberian Husky

-Protocol-
Levetiracetam XR 500mg BID
Di Tan Tang 1.5gm BID
Yang Yin Xi Feng 1.5gm BID
Bi-weekly acupuncture
0.5mg l-thyroxine BID (thyroid)

-Supplements-
Coconut oil
Fish oil
Ocuvite (juvenile cataracts)

CCH

Post by CCH » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:35 pm

We have been using ice packs to help manage our girl's seizures for over a year now. From what I have heard first hand from others is that it either doesn't work at all or it works fabulously. With our girl it "works fabulously". It is not the miracle cure and it does not prevent future seizures but it definitely stops her grand mal right in its tracks. It is the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I would love to get it on video but as you all know a seizure is such a highly emotionally time that grabbing the camera is the last thing on my mind. If we get the ice pack on her within the first 15 seconds or so, the grand mal just suddenly stops. Like a light switch. All motor movement comes to a halt. She continues to be incoherent for a bit but all movements stop.

"Lani" is a 65 lb. Lab with a pretty thick coat. Our first attempts did not go so well because those little blue ice packs or baggies did nothing. So I custom made her packs using large seal a meal bags with water and rubbing alcohol that I keep in the freezer. It is perfect because its super cold but pliable so you can form it over their back. Every seizure she has is treated with the ice packs. She is also on high doses of meds, supplements, etc. but my personal belief is that the ice pack treatment helps to significantly reduce the length of the seizure.

For us it is definitely not "non-sense". It is a part of our girl's treatment plan and highly effective. There is also a research article that was written about it. Difficult to find online but here is the reference if anyone is interested.

"A simple Effective Technique for Arresting Canine Epileptic Seizures" H. C. Gurney, DVM and Janice Gurney B.S, M.A. Journal of the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association. January 2004. Volume 22, Number 4, page 17 -18.

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:41 pm

We read about the ice and put ice and alcohol in an ice bag. It definitely works for our dog. The seizure duration is cut in half, and he doesn't paddle as bad. We haven't been able to catch it though soon enough to prevent it as this has just started and when it hits him, it hits him quick. He does seem to be just as disoriented, but at least the seizure itself is shorter.

athomas989

Post by athomas989 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:10 am

Totally agree. Once Apollo starts, I make sure he is okay and wont fall or hit anything to hurt himself, then run to the freezer to grab his ice packs. Placing them on his spine absolutely cuts the seizure down and brings him out of it quicker.
Also, once he comes out of it, I grab a spoonful of vanilla ice cream to bring his sugar levels back up. (I read that on one of these sites)
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
1st seizure: April 2012
Last seizure: 2/13/16
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Zonisamide-100mg 2 capsules BID
Potassuim Bromide-250 mg 4 cc once daily
Keppra-750mg TID
Clorazepate/Rectal Valium-as needed when a seizure occurs

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:53 pm

Does the vanilla ice cream bring him back to normal, sooner?

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:05 am

As with everything else, vanilla ice cream really helps some dogs and not others. We've used it for years and it makes giving the extra meds after a seizure much easier and has many times brought Jake out of his stupor. There have been a few times when we stopped a seizure in it's tracks by putting it under his nose. So whether it helps with blood sugar levels or brings them back from a seizure, it's worth a try.
Lynne

athomas989

Post by athomas989 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:06 am

I fully agree with Lynne, it is definitely worth a try. I have a pint of vanilla ice cream in the freezer, and everyone in my household knows it is just for Apollo. :)
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
1st seizure: April 2012
Last seizure: 2/13/16
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Zonisamide-100mg 2 capsules BID
Potassuim Bromide-250 mg 4 cc once daily
Keppra-750mg TID
Clorazepate/Rectal Valium-as needed when a seizure occurs

LizzyB

Post by LizzyB » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:29 pm

We also use ice packs or even a cold water soaked towel. It seems to calm them, however did not stop the clusters today and we had to administer the valium rectally.

Lovelight

Post by Lovelight » Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:23 am

I tried this once when my little Buttercup was seizing, though she was in clusters.

For ONE of the seizures, the ice pack on her back worked like magic and within seconds. She was convulsing, on her side, foaming, and it had just begun (as from her second bout of seizures) and when I placed it on her back, within 5-10 seconds, she snapped out of it, jumped to her feet and just looked at me as to say, like, what was that? And it was as if nothing happened, no ictal after either. This was in the middle of her horrible day with breakthrough clusters. She had a mixture of seizures that day and this one where I applied the ice pack, it was maybe the third or fourth of seven seizures she had that day. (I will post her story in a moment) When she had the next seizure, that ice pack did nothing. The last two seizures she had during that episode, was very long over an hour and half before I could get her to the vet. I could not help the time it took to get her there. She did come out of it when the doctors administered IV valium that day. I don't know if I will try an ice pack again until I read more about it somewhere. Maybe there is a type of seizure this works best on, IDK.

I don't think the ice had anything to do with the severity, frequency or duration of seizures the one time I did try it. My dog is only newly diagnosed and not everything has been ruled out. I just thought I should respond seeing i tried this.

Jbalest519

Post by Jbalest519 » Fri May 06, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi, we use ice packs at the first sign of an oncoming seizure. We place one on the back of his neck & another on his back. During a seizure we are always trying to hold him as still as possible while repeating his name in a very reassuring tone over and over again. We feel these tactics have helped reduce the full duration of the seizure; of course, they always seem longer than they actually are.
Our boy is Remy, a 5 YO male greyhound. His first seizure was in January 2015. The last two he had were in mid-April. We've recently had Keppra added to his phenobarb regiment.
Thanks for reading
judy

jenniesmith

Post by jenniesmith » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:05 am

He does seem to be just as disoriented, but at least the seizure itself is shorter.

mariakatosvich

Post by mariakatosvich » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:06 am

I wanted to share with you what my husband and I believe to be very exciting . Today, Skyla, darted out of his crate. This is a major sign that she is about to have a seizure. she also got that certain look she has when about to seize.

I immediately ran for our pre-prepared ice pack and placed it on his back. I waited for the seizure to start. I carried her to the couch with the ice pack on her back. I waited for the seizure to start. It never came. I thought maybe I had it wrong, but kept the ice pack on for at least 10 minutes. I did notice her typical post-ictal behaviors, such as nervousness, wanting to be very close to me, some pacing and eating grass.

I then realized that we had prevented a seizure from happening! I gave him her Hagen Daaz and Rescue Remedy and she is resting peacefully in her favorite spot.

We have had huge success with the ice pack.

Without the ice pack, Dixie will throw up and lose control of her bladder.

WITH the ice pack - she has not thrown up and has not lost control of her bladder. AND she is completely coherent afterwards just like normal, like nothing happened, except she is ready and expecting her ice cream

I would highly recommend trying the ice pack.

Thank you so much for your website and all that you have done to educate us. We want you to know that your website has been a blessing to us, and have helped us through a tremendously difficult time. Thank you.
Name: Skyla
DOB: 26 Feb 2010
Breed: Maltese Shih
First Seizure: 23 Apr 2014
Last Seizure: 2 Jan 2016