Transitioning successfully to CBD oil?

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

tatertot

Transitioning successfully to CBD oil?

Post by tatertot » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Howdy Everyone.

First post here. I'm looking for some first hand advice on transitioning my 3.5yr old Border CollieX off of some of his meds and onto CBD oil.

He's currently on 130mg phenobarbital 2x/day, potassium bromide, 500mg generic Keppra 3x/day, and Calm Repose for his intractable epilepsy. My goal is to phase out the pheno and potassium bromide. I'd love to get him off of the Keppra as well, eventually. So far so good on the CBD oil. No seizure activity since we started 5mg 2x/day last week, and his condition seems to be improving overall.

Anyone successfully transition their dogs off of pharmaceutical drugs onto CBD oil? Looking for some advice on this journey.

happy_blackbird

Re: Transitioning successfully to CBD oil?

Post by happy_blackbird » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:59 pm

I am really late to this party, but we're doing the same with our 22 month old yellow lab right now and I am wondering how it has been going for your border collie. We're you able to get him off the pharmaceuticals? I am really displeased with our girl's personality/demeanor on the Potassium Bromide/zonisamide combo (agitation, restlessness, increased vocalization, and ataxia). So far, the CBD oil (we're in CA, so use a human grade product) seem sto be helping immensely but about a month after decreasing the Kbr, she had an uptick in focal motor seizures.

How do you like the Calm Repose?

Thanks!

Klutzyangel

Re: Transitioning successfully to CBD oil?

Post by Klutzyangel » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Ive never transitioned a dog from pharmaseutical drugs to CBD but I have given my dog CBD oil which did calm him a lot.
You should probably talk to your vet specifically about taking them off a prescription drug though, since those can have withdrawal symptoms sometimes.