forgot the heartbreak

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

athomas989

forgot the heartbreak

Post by athomas989 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:07 am

Hey all!
Things have been quiet lately (thankfully) on our side with Apollo...we would experience the usual monthly seizure (and it happens like clockwork between the 10-15th every month - I was checking the moon cycle to see if his have anything to do with that) ... Since July, that monthly seizure would be quick, 30 sec recovering was great, usually would fall right back to sleep afterwards. I was like "this is great, we can deal with this"...!!
Than last night happened, his first cluster since July. Man, I totally forgot how terrible and heartbreaking it is watching him struggle, then cry, then experience the blindness walking into things. My heart ached but thankfully I somehow got him out of it -- a valium few extra meds - ice pack and ice cream - within a hour I had him in my bed sleeping.
This morning leaving for work was hard because I just want to be snuggling with my boy. Call placed to check in with him (since my husband is home) all is well.
Hoping for a good night...
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
1st seizure: April 2012
Last seizure: 2/13/16
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Zonisamide-100mg 2 capsules BID
Potassuim Bromide-250 mg 4 cc once daily
Keppra-750mg TID
Clorazepate/Rectal Valium-as needed when a seizure occurs

jaragr

Re: forgot the heartbreak

Post by jaragr » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:50 pm

Oh how I feel for you. I could not imagine that. Our dog doesn't have cluster seizures, but his last about 3 minutes, and I can hardly stand it. We do hold an ice pack on his back during the seizure and that shortens the duration. He is not on medication as this just started in August. I give him a snack often, he loves green beans. He hasn't had a seizure in 4 weeks. I am so sorry for you and your baby.

athomas989

Post by athomas989 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks for your response...3 minutes is so long, I would be crying myself watching that. Apollo didn't always have the clusters, he started them after my second baby was born (so about 2 years after he was diagnosed) -- I think anxiety and stress is one of Apollo's "triggers" ..
Hang tight to you! Its so hard.
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Keppra-750mg TID

donodogs

Post by donodogs » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:56 pm

:(

Our pup just had an awful bout of cluster seizures that put him in the emergency room for 48 hours. He usually has two seizures within 15 or so minutes and then one more an hour or so later, and then he's done, but this time he was having one after another, about ten minutes apart. By his sixth one, and after loading him up with all the diazepam and other meds, we had rushed him to the emergency vet, where he had three more, and also choked on his own vomit and stopped breathing for a bit.

Totally understand the heartbreak. It's so hard to see him in that altered, confused state, where he's clearly uncomfortable and scared, and there's absolutely nothing we can do to help him.

Also, I've never heard of the ice pack trick. It really works? Gonna have to try it next time (though, crossing my fingers that there isn't a next time...).

Terrifinch

Post by Terrifinch » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:01 pm

May I ask how you know that these seizures are "cluster" and not one seizure that lasts hours??? My dog had his first seizure 3 months ago then another this week. Both seemed to last 3-4 hours even in the vets care while being given injections of PB and valium😢

donodogs

Post by donodogs » Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:21 am

Hmm, I guess we always just assumed they were separate seizures because there seems to be such a clear delineation of stages, from pre- to ictal to post-ictal. When he has a seizure, he loses consciousness and paddles and salivates, standard grand mal activity. That part lasts about 1-2 minutes, and then he usually comes to, jumps up, and begins running around and pacing and eating and drinking as much as he can. Usually he's disoriented and running into things and (unintentionally) antagonizing our other dog, stuff like that. Then, a few minutes later, he'll lose consciousness and start seizing again, and the whole cycle starts all over again.

I can't imagine one lasting hours. That sounds so scary. :(

athomas989

Post by athomas989 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:59 am

I know that Apollo has "cluster" seizures because that is what the vet told us when he had a very bad episode back in July.
Apollo's are monthly almost to the day. Thankfully the one he had on Saturday, was a one and done deal. No clusters.
The ice pack definitely does work for our boy, but I have heard it doesnt for them all. We are very grateful right now that Apollo doesnt have very long seizures, they are about 30-50 seconds long.
Apollo-4 year old Boxer
Pheno-64.8mg 2 pills BID
Keppra-750mg TID