Newly Diagnosed 4-Year Old Female Pug

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Lovelight

Re: Newly Diagnosed 4-Year Old Female Pug

Post by Lovelight » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Hi everyone, I hope you all are doing well, and that if your pets are doing good, that it remains that way for as long as possible. For those having trouble, I pray it gets better. I needed a rest from here and reading stories. Just to decompress from everything, I know everyone here understands that.

I've uploaded some pics of little Buttercup. I have a sub album in that link of videos of Butter that I took for her neurologist, however they want a subscription to the tune of 400 a year (billed of course once a year) to share links to other sites (they call it "hosting''). An image representing the videos are there, but of course, the videos won't play without my subscription. So I will delete those at some point. Also one needs a subscription to actually have pictures to post on sites like here. It's why below, you see a link without images.

In any case, here is Buttercup.... http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Lovelig ... /Buttercup

Am doing ok. I still have my moments of tears. I guess everything in its time. Since, I have opened my heart to a new pug puppy. http://s36.photobucket.com/user/Lovelig ... ary/Nelope . Her name is Nelope and she actually picked her name out of ones we had thought of nearly unanimously -ten to one... I must say, already she's brightened my heart, brought so much joy and love to me and my family. We're on our way to healing. It's taken a bit for us to desensitize to certain experiences - like anything that might resemble the health issues Butter had and 'adjust' to her not physically being here. I just miss Butter and I probably always will. The love though, that remains and will forever.

In any case, I may be around reading more here and if I can provide support for anyone, I will try. Butter's journey though I will leave posted here for reasons I've mentioned in her thread.

~Light

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:23 pm

It takes a while to get to a point where we're not crying all the time after losing one of our fur babies. Not just the fact that they aren't there physically but all the things they did that went unnoticed until they were gone and something happens to remind us. It took me months (and even over a year later I still do this) not to jump when I would here Rylie's feet hit the wall or hear Sophie trying to chew at something, because those sounds remind me of when Shiloh would have a seizure. The pain will always be there, but hopefully it doesn't hurt as much as the day before.

Your new baby is adorable!!!! What a cutie pie!
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Lovelight

Post by Lovelight » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:21 pm

Sorry it took me a while to write back. We just found out about a month ago that my younger sister (special needs) has pancreatic cancer. She went in for suspected gall bladder and they found PC in the process. She's staged at IIB which is rare. The surgeon actually said "surgery for a cure" for her (only 10-15% of cases are where she is at). You know, they don't say stuff like that if she doesn't have that chance. They tell you like it is. I mean, PC is on my maternal side of the family, the ones we knew inflicted with it, they had no options.... I just pray her treatment works. We're trying to keep her as positive as possible...anyway..

So Nelope comes at a good time, we all love Nelope, she's wicked crazy cool. :P My sister loves her to bits and has helped keep her positive. I too love her to bits and yeah, I am a little scared...I pray Nelope is healthy for a lifetime. She sure is a blessing. :)

I miss Butter every day...some days are better than others. Does it get better, really? Sigh...

How are you doing, Shiloh's mom?? :) Hope all is beautiful with you and your loved ones.

take care, until next time.

Lovelight

Re: Newly Diagnosed 4-Year Old Female Pug (Pug Dog Encephalitis)

Post by Lovelight » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Hello everyone, just wanted to say hello.

It's been weird not having Buttercup around, and I miss her daily. Almost 8 months since she's passed and sometimes I still feel it all when I think of her. Other times when I think of her and smile, remembering the good times. My love for her has not changed except I love her more, and miss her more each day. Some can say I am crazy but to me, Butter is family. I miss and love her as I do family members that have passed, some from when I was a kid. Sometimes we don't know the effects we have on one another and what she's taught me, I'll never forget. But the love, grows. It stays. And it carries me through the tough times.

Nelope, our new little black pug, is a delight. She's about 10 months old now, and she keeps us smiling. We're so blessed to have her. The little things she does sometimes reminds me of Butter, though I know Nelope is not Butter and is so beautiful in her own right, and I see how she has made my life better since losing Butter. I see Nelope in all her glory... I love her too more each day, and I think of Butter too along the way, and I'm reminded of how Butter's contribution may someday help other pugs and their families. Hoping some day, neurologists and researchers will find that missing key to a cure for Pug Dog Encephalitis (necrotizing meningoencephalitis). I would love to be alive to see that happen, but I have no idea if they will find one in my lifetime. This is why I say, to share your stories, information, whenever and wherever possible. Regardless if your pet has PDE or IE, neurologists/vets need you and your stories, etc, to maybe someday find a cure or better treatments for seizures and illnesses. When I watch Nelope run outside, and seeing her in all her delight, I am reminded of these thoughts every day. I see how we all can be so connected....

Despite losing Butter to such a devastating disease, I'm doing ok though I have my moments. I come here often as I can to read up on everyone here and offer help when I can- sometimes it can be a bit much, however, my time has been consumed by my sister's illness. My sister actually has gallbladder cancer (not pancreatic as they thought), which is rarer than pc. Only 4K cases a year in the US, maybe 20,000 cases worldwide. When they removed her gallbladder last month, they had it tested. The gb was filled with cancer throughout the lining. The tumor on her pancreas was caused by the cells from her gb cancer- chemo (for pancreatic cancer) devoured that tumor and it is gone. Something else that astonishes her doctors. She's a walking miracle. Nine plus scans, three ERCP's, and other scans too didn't pick it up...now with her gallbladder out, all that cancer- at least those cells can't cause trouble; but they said there is no cure for gallbladder cancer as it usually comes up elsewhere. She has a year more of treatment including immunotherapy. At last testing, all her cancer and tumor markers are normal, and knock on wood, no cancer anywhere else. Hopefully, it will stay that way. She has an amazing oncologist. She's kind of excited because she's never had a case like my sister.... whatever happens, we know my sister is loved and well taken care of the best as possible and whatever is learned will help others.

Sorry to get off the subject of seizures in dogs, but...all that has happened, I see connections. Doctors are human beings, whether veterinary or specialized or human doctors. Sometimes, we help them learn more, sometimes they can help us beyond expectation and help our beloved pets live longer and with quality of life. But they do not know everything. It is so hard when you see someone or animal you love endure any illness, and to have more questions than answers..plus beyond other issues. In this, we must be patient and hopeful that things can get better regardless of ups and downs, and the awful outcomes. And knowing that you've done your best, no matter what happens, just has to count for something. I believe it does. Not always is there a cure, or good prognosis, but whatever we do matters. Continue to love your pets, even though the have seizures and have bad times. They cannot help when they are sick, and they count on us to help them when they are. Continue to share your stories, to reach out and support one another, no matter what happens because it all matters. The love in between, is even more important, for it is from love that we can achieve what one day was felt the impossible.

I just felt like sharing some thoughts... for anyone out there having trouble with their pets, I hope it gets better soon. For those doing well, I hope it remains as so as long as possible.

Thinking of you all,
Light

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:59 am

Hi Light,
Boy do I know how you feel. Jake will be gone 9 months this month and it seems impossible that it's been that long. There are still so many days when it feels like it happened yesterday. We adopted a rescue a few months that had a very rough beginning but we're gaining his trust and he's finally starting to come out of his shell and feeling safe. He has a long way to go but I think it will all come together.
I think when you lose any pet it's heartbreaking, but when you lose a dog to seizures it's so much more. They're such special animals and companions, and as hard as we work to keep them healthy and happy is as hard as they work to stay with us and thank us every day for fighting so hard for them. It's a huge loss when they go. They leave such a huge empty space. It's impossible to fill it, but thinking back on the goofy things they did, and the lessons they taught really does comfort you doesn't it? I'll miss Jake for the rest of my life.
I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. I was also diagnosed with a very rare form of a deadly cancer 15 years ago and I'm still here :) The first thing my oncologist told us was to ignore the stats because there are always exceptions. The fact that she's getting clear markers is such good news. That's what it all boils down to. I wish her, you, and your family the very best.

Lynne

Lovelight

Post by Lovelight » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi Lynne,

You're amazing, I had no idea you went through cancer too. Happy to hear you are a survivor. I pray for your continued good health and many blessings to you and your loved ones. Thank you for your advice and kind words, prayers too. Despite having a few side effects, small setbacks, she's doing ok. Long way to go.

I remember you told us you adopted a rescue, and am very happy to hear that he is doing well and coming out of his shell- he just needs time and love :) . Love moves mountains, doesn't it? So true --> "I think when you lose any pet it's heartbreaking, but when you lose a dog to seizures it's so much more. They're such special animals and companions, and as hard as we work to keep them healthy and happy is as hard as they work to stay with us and thank us every day for fighting so hard for them. It's a huge loss when they go. They leave such a huge empty space. It's impossible to fill it, but thinking back on the goofy things they did, and the lessons they taught really does comfort you doesn't it? I'll miss Jake for the rest of my life." <--- yeah, me too. I recognize how hard Butter fought her PDE- she did as much as we did for her. Like your Jake, both incredible character and will. And you're right, when I think of this, her manner, her goofiness, her personality and comic behavior, and all, yes, it is very comforting.

Many blessings to you and your loved ones, here and in heaven. Ya think Jake and Butter (and other beautiful animals) play together in heaven's garden? Sometimes, I picture that...and them two 'talking' about it all, sharing their stories with each other as they sit on the edge of the garden near the clouds, watching over us. When I have that clear picture in my mind, I can feel their love for us. I feel it at other times, course, but... It's a sweet thought, isn't it?

Until next time, take care,
Light