Need to share some place

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Deacon's Mom

Need to share some place

Post by Deacon's Mom » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:02 am

I'm so overwhelmed today and I need to share with people who understand the struggle. My dog just turned two a few weeks ago. I got my dog to help with my depression and because when I was by myself at home it was creating panicked feelings in me. I started to get better and then he started having seizures. He's improved and is having about a seizure per month. The reality is that I'm completely overwhelmed by it. When I got him I totally took into consideration the normal care and possible care if something happened. I think its safe to say nothing could have prepared me for this. Add in a newish relationship and trying to date, it's a lot trying to figure out how to make it all work. I constantly have this go around in my head about making plans around giving pills, not being able to move in together because I rely on my parents to help with the care of the dog.

I guess I'm just venting that this disease takes so much out of everyone, pets and owners.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Need to share some place

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:50 pm

This disease is so overwhelming so I don't blame you for feeling like you do. It's so unpredictable, and frightening.
Scheduling dosing around our daily lives can be really trying but eventually you'll figure it all out. We take our pups on hikes and we bought a backpack for our other dog to carry Jake's meds in in case he has a problem, or if his meds are due while we're gone. She actually loves carrying it. I think it makes her feel like she has a job to do :) In the beginning of all of this I never even considered doing that. I was too scared.
I know this is hard, but it sounds like you have support, and with a new relationship hopefully they will mesh in with what's happening and help out when you need it.
Try to take it one day at a time. It will help reduce the stress of worrying about what may or may not happen. When Deacon is having a good day enjoy it, and try not to worry about tomorrow until it comes. I know this is easier said than done, and I'm certainly not great at it, but it does help. Sometimes I catch myself completely relaxed and I look at Jake and he's having a great day too. This illness is never far from my mind but it does seem that when I'm relaxed he is too.
I hope you're feeling a little better.
Take Care,
Lynne

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:33 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. I was like you in that when I got a dog I had it all worked out in my head including how long I would be blessed with him. When he had his first seizure I completely freaked out. I was hoping that it would of been the last, but sadly it wasn't. We battled the beast for six years. That may sound overwhelming to you right now, but, it was a small part of those six years. We had way more good days than bad and if you can get to a place where those will be the important days it'll help. Sometimes it helps to take a step back, breathe, and just mentally sort it all out. This could also be a good test on if the person you're dating is a keeper and what kind of heart they really have. Don't be afraid to lean on people and come here when you need to. We're here for you.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Deacon's Mom

Post by Deacon's Mom » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 am

Thanks for the support. My boyfriend has been very good in that he understands that my dog requires lots of attention from me. He's been good about saying we can make it work. I've started to be more vocal with him and my parents about my concerns with Deacon. We are all putting our heads together to figure out how we can all work with the disease. We don't want our lives to feel like its controlling us. I'm not really sure whats next. My mom has suggested we give him to a family friend who has more time to devote to him. I'm not sure I'm ready for that step yet, it makes me feel like a failure. Plus we're attached, we're a package.

I'm working on not having thoughts of if only I had stopped the vet from giving him so many shots at once this stupid disease wouldn't be in our life. I know there's no proof that caused his seizures but when you're down you always think the worse.

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:52 am

I know it's easy to slip into "What If's" when it come to this disease, but try not to. I think if there was any definitive reason why our dogs get this horrible disease there would also be a cure and as you know there isn't. Some believe vaccines can cause seizures, but I think the main consensus is that because they challenge the immune system if whatever causes this disease is lurking, when they get vaccines it opens the door. Some flea and tick treatments do the same thing. Or like we think with Jake, it was stress from grief. We'd just lost our other dog, and Jake was very close to her. I've never seen a dog grieve the way he did. He wasn't himself at all. Then shortly after that he had his first grand mal. Please don't beat yourself up over it.
I don't envy you the choice of what to do. What it comes down to is what's best for Deacon. It does sound like you love him very much. It's never easy, but you'll figure it all out.

Take Care,
Lynne

Deacon's Mom

Post by Deacon's Mom » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:23 am

Deacon had three seizures yesterday. We had previously given him another dose of medicine after a seizure to prevent the next one. That did not work yesterday. We finally got Valium (from the vet) and gave him that. After being unsteady on his feet for awhile he finally fell asleep and didn't have any more incidents.

I try to laugh when I can while dealing with these things. My laugh in all this came this morning when I woke up on the couch. I slept there because Deacon sleeps upstairs in my room with me but I wanted to keep him from going upstairs where he'd been so unsteady. Well I wake up look around, he had not only gone up to my room he was sleeping in my exact spot I sleep in normally. I had to laugh that he was sleeping comfortably in my spot while I was curled up on the couch for him.

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:22 pm

I can picture you waking up with a stiff neck and Deacon stretching as he's waking up wondering when his breakfast will be delivered!

When Izzie got impaled by a stick she wasn't allowed to jump on any of the furniture so I moved a mattress into to the living room. Guess who spent most of it on the floor? Yeah, me..... she was splayed out quite comfortably.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

Deacon's Mom

Post by Deacon's Mom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:05 am

So we had a very difficult trip to the animal hospital on Monday for his blood work. First he was still loopy from the valium the night before, not sure why this really knocked him for a loop. Well that's not true I'm assuming it was the medicine coupled with how tired he was from so many seizures. I get him to the vet and was feeling accomplished because it's not easy to lure a dog who is 140 pounds to get up when he doesn't want to. Off he went for his blood work to check his levels, out he comes and we get in line to check out. This was the end of the success during this trip.

Deacon wouldn't get up when it was our turn to talk to the lady at the desk so I basically had to slide him across the tile floor. Then apparently the vet requested more tests run so the appointment came to $400 not the usually $100 or so. Well my one and only card I have is a debit card with a $200 limit per 24 hours. Well you can see where this is going, I didn't have the money to cover all of it. I asked about a payment plan... no go because he wasn't an inpatient and the bills didn't qualify for their loan program. The lady asks if I have another card. Well clearly I would have given her another card if I have it. I pay half and she tells me they will run the tests as soon as I call and take care of the balance. Ok fine, what can I do? I ask if they have any treats so I can try to lure him to the car. They lady gives me treats that Deacon has no interest in. (He dislikes the generic milk bones, what can I say?) Finally pick him up and he reluctantly stands. Get him out to my jeep and try to get him up. Normally he can get in and out on his own. Not this time. I get the first half of him in and go to grab his hind legs, we both fall out of the car. I now want to be anywhere on earth but there. I finally get him in, email the vet saying the tests won't get run that day. (He was waiting for them.) Get out of the parking lot and dissolve into tears. I felt like I had earned the cry.

When I told my mom what happened she immediately called and paid it, she was so annoyed at the animal hospital. Deacon's pheno levels are too high and his bromide levels are super low. So when the vet called he said that he was going to increase the bromide and then we would work to lower the pheno. Which is good because he seems to decrease in seizure frequency with the bromide which never happened with the pheno. (Bromide is newer in our regime.) He feels good about this and thinks it should help. I can only home.

Our only problem now is he is having more accidents then he did when he was a puppy. This has just been in the past couple of weeks. I feel like I have to retrain him but I'm not sure why this is happening.

Phew that was a lot but I needed to get it out. The hurt, the worry.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:07 am

Bromide is salt, so it makes Deacon thirsty. Have you noticed him drinking more?

Sorry you're going thru this. I always told myself when I started feeling sorry for me that they're stuck in their bodies and are doing the real suffering..it's not their fault. We have to deal with the financials and the heartache of watching them go thru it though. Just keep telling yourself that although we can walk away from this, they cannot, they need us. My only regret with my MK, who was so hard to keep under good control, was that no matter what we tried it didn't work for him. He drew the short straw in life and even after 7 years I still cry when he comes to mind.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

Deacon's Mom

Post by Deacon's Mom » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:45 am

Thanks MK's mom! It's sometimes hard to keep perspective when we're in the middle of a bad period.

Deacon has been drinking more which was expected so we were taking him out more. The problem was he was kind of loopy and out of it, it was as if he didn't know he was out to go the bathroom. He just was going when he needed to wherever he needed to. It's gotten better so I'm not sure if it was related to the last large group of seizures he had. We've never seen him have that many in one weekend so I guess I also don't know what he was going to be like after.

I think the fact that my dog can't walk away from it is exactly why it bothers me, and the whole unpredictable aspect of it. If I knew ok it happens every three weeks on this day around this time I could be prepared but you never know when it's going to show up. This is more I guess of my control issue playing into things. I just wish there was more I could do when he has them.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:07 pm

If he had a lot of seizures it CAN take a while for them to recoup. A new medication can also cause grogginess, thirst, increased hunger, etc., hopefully he'll adjust and feel better soon. A huge part of most of our problems is; we have to rule out one at a time, drugs or anything else we think might be causing an issue, because it could be anything.

Yes, when we love our babes and we see them go thru a health issue it's very hard to see and we are left feeling powerless. As long as we give them what they need, when they need it there's not much else we can do other than try and seek a good, knowledgeable vet and research ourselves to see if we stumble upon something that could benefit our pet.

Hang in there..I hope you and Deacon have a peaceful, happy holiday. OH, and watch the salty foods over the holidays and any other time, you can't give them that with KBr. :)
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

teenujohn

Post by teenujohn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:33 am

Thanks for sharing your valuable life experience. While reading this type of experience we get some extra energy to accept any risks in life. Please share your experience with essay writing service reviews that will be a great lesson in life.

teenujohn

Post by teenujohn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:33 am

Thanks for sharing your valuable life experience. While reading this type of experience we get some extra energy to accept any risks in life. Please share your experience with essay writing service reviews that will be a great lesson in life.

teenujohn

Post by teenujohn » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:34 am

cathylister

Post by cathylister » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:22 am

thanks for the insight.
www.epoxyflooringnampa.com