Triggers

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

jenxhart

Triggers

Post by jenxhart » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Baxter is my 3 year old Pembroke who had his first seizure April 17, 2015, almost 2 years ago. We still don't have them under control and he will most often cluster when he does have them. We've gone as few as 5 days between to almost 11 weeks (that was heaven!). But, he is now having them fairly regularly: either having one a week or clustering after 5 weeks.

Does anyone have thoughts on what triggers your dogs' seizures? Sometimes I wonder if it's from being overly tired. He went through this long period when he'd have them on Monday mornings, as if perhaps there was something we did on Sundays that caused him to have them on Mondays. But this isn't always the case and seems to get them now on random days. Before the seizures began he went to puppy daycare but we stopped that as he was getting them there at times. He loved going but it wasn't worth the possibility of a seizure. I chalked that up to the overstimulation.

The only commonality is that they tend to happen early in the morning (between 5-7:30). He has gotten them at night. He has never had his first of a cluster when outside during the day, at the park, or any outing. He has seized outside twice but that was after he had already seized inside.

ShilohsMom

Re: Triggers

Post by ShilohsMom » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:57 pm

Some people have found triggers with lights, food, activity, weather, etc. but I was never able to find out what caused Shiloh's. I even charted out a year to see if I could find a weather pattern or moon cycle. I think it's great if you're able to find something but it's important to let let it drive you nuts because sometimes there isn't anything you can find.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

jenxhart

Post by jenxhart » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:38 pm

I'll admit it has driven me a bit crazy. My main concern is that I am not doing anything to harm my little guy. He's the sunshine that (literally!) gets me up in the morning. Just got a bit of good news from my vet! A study on diet for dogs with epilepsy! Fingers crossed. Here's the article. I'm going to post it in the forum.
http://www.rvc.ac.uk/research/research- ... h-epilepsy

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:02 am

I understand about wanting to make sure you do everything for them you possibly can.

It'd be great if it works. I'm not a fan of Purina and Science Diet but my daughters dog is on Science Diet kidney formula and it's been good for him and brought his kidney values down so who knows. I didn't see anything that mentioned how long it would take to see results. Saw this on the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/PurinaVeterinaryExchange/

The Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind is for Senior Pets where the NeuroCare is for Puppy Growth and Adult Maintenance. If you have any additional questions please call us at 1-800-222-8387.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

jenxhart

Post by jenxhart » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks for this! Just started to introduce the food today, which we'll do over the next two weeks.

KMarg

Post by KMarg » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:32 pm

My dog had immediate seizures after eating cornbread, once. So I put him on a grain free kibble, just to be careful. He also had immediate seizures after eating a specific dog food. I think it was one of the additives - maybe the chickory or the rosemary. I cannot be sure as I have no way to isolate it out. Now, I just make sure his kibble has a minimum of ingredients.