Activity = seizure increase?

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

bethad5

Activity = seizure increase?

Post by bethad5 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi all. Has anyone noticed excessive activity triggering seizures? The last two times my dog has had a seizure, it was after he spent the day/a few days with other dogs. He obviously gets much more activity playing with other dogs than he does in my apartment. Do you think he's metabolizing his seizure meds faster, and maybe that's causing the seizures 1-2 days after getting home? Or am I grasping at straws, and trying to find a trigger that isn't really there...?
Archer, Lab/Akita mix

First seizure: July 6, 2015
Last seizure: March 25, 2017

Current meds:
Potassium Bromide 1000mg 1x/day (started 3/28/17)
Keppra 1000mg 3x/day
Zonisamide 150mg 2x/day
Cholodin 1 tablet 2x/day
GABA 500mg 2x/day
Taurine 500mg 2x/day

narney

Re: Activity = seizure increase?

Post by narney » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:05 am

Hi
We were told by our vet that seizures don't tend to come on during an excitable/stressful time, but actually during the period after when the body is calming down, all due to the seratoning levels in the brain..don't know if this helps at all...but if your dog enjoys the company of other dogs taking that away could make him/her worse??