Keppra not working

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Alliezig

Keppra not working

Post by Alliezig » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi -
I posted in the new to the forum section regarding my dog, Ziggy. He is a lab/shepherd mix rescue and is 6 years old (I rescued him at age 5 months.) He had his first seizure on 12/23/18, blood work negative; another seizure on 1/2/18 - was put on Keppra 500 mg 3x a day; today 1/8 he had a seizure shortly after his morning medication; lasted 4 minutes and is still hyper 2.5 hours later even though I gave him a 10mg valium from the vet. I am waiting for her to call. This seizure was really unique to me in that he ran all over the house while seizing and after the seizure part would try and get thru doors, etc.
Has anyone else experienced Keppra not working? I do not know what to do with Ziggy if I have to go anywhere. He cannot be confined or would hurt himself.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My vet called; increased Keppra to 750 am; 500 mg afternoon; 750 pm

Will see him as scheduled 1/12
Mary Lou and Ziggy
1000 mg Keppra 3 x day; 1.5 grams Phenobarbital 2 x day

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Keppra not working

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Hi Mary Lou,
I'm sorry you and Ziggy are having such a hard time today. I know it's early on in all of this but has your vet mentioned Phenobarbital or Zonisamide yet? I know Pb can sound scary but with regular testing any problems can be caught early. Jake was on it for over 9 years and didn't have a problem. The other issue may be how fast he's metabolizing the Keppra. We had to have a Peak and Trough test done and found out that Jake was metabolizing it way too quickly so we went from giving it 3x a day to 4x with the same total mgs at the end of the day. It knocked his seizures down to just 20-30 seconds with almost no post ictal. He was also on Pb so Keppra was an add on drug. The good thing about Keppra is that it's safe with little to no side effects and you can give pretty high doses without any long term problems. The bad thing is that it can also have what they call a ""honeymoon period where it works well for awhile and then all of a sudden it doesn't, so you have to re tweak everything.
Also, is it rectal Valium you're giving him? If not the tablets take longer to absorb so if you can I would try to get that.
Early on with Jake was really frightening. During one of his seizures he took off like rocket, bounced from most of the lower cabinets in our kitchen, hit the stove, flipped over and seized for another 7 minutes. He was initially on Pb and his post ictal was horrible. He would pace around being temporarily blind and deaf banging into things for sometimes a few hours but even after he settled he was very jumpy for at least two days. We used to put him on a leash to keep him from hurting himself and walked all over with him. After we added Keppra and discovered the metabolism issue and changed how we dosed, that all stopped. It can take some time and a lot sleepless nights to get the right combination of meds for your dog. It's so frustrating because you read about some dogs that get control with one drug and it doesn't work for others. We never got control with Jake but he lived a long happy life.
We rarely ever left Jake alone because if someone wasn't with him to give him extra meds after seizing he would just keep seizing. So I quit my job and worked from home. It killed us financially but we made it through it all. Eventually I took him everywhere with me. And I do mean everywhere. He settled into my routine very well. We were very lucky that way.
I hope you find the right combination soon. Don't give up hope you still have options. Unfortunately it can take some time to get this all worked out.
Take Care,
Lynne

Alliezig

Post by Alliezig » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. I can now ask the vet re the dosing - I had that thought as it happened right after his morning dose. Also the valium was a tablet so it really never worked. Ziggy has been going out and acting normal as if he is not on valium.

I am going to ask her to do a thyroid test and dosing levels test. She said she would had Pb if the Keppra did not work alone.

Have ruled out a neurologist for now as they would insist on scans and I want to explore all the blood work etc. before I put him thru an MRI. What are your feelings about an MRI at this point?
Thank you so much
Mary Lou and Ziggy

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:41 pm

We never had an MRI done on Jake. Mainly because we couldn't afford it and later when he was much older we knew that even if he had a tumor there was really nothing that could be done. They can see other abnormalities but the main reason they do them is to see if there's a tumor.
If you can afford it and you think Ziggy can handle it, it may be a good thing to rule that out. I know that's not much of an answer but I think it really is a personal choice. There were many times when I wondered if things would have been different if we'd had one done, but as it turned out Jake made it longer than anyone ever imagined he would.

I hope things are getting better.
Lynne

Alliezig

Post by Alliezig » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 pm

Hi - I just started a new thread as Ziggy had another seizure.

Insurance will pay 80 percent of the scan and I think emotionally I need the answer it may give.
Mary Lou and Ziggy