BLOOD LEVELS FOR MAINTENANCE

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Maggsd

BLOOD LEVELS FOR MAINTENANCE

Post by Maggsd » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:30 am

I have to get Kai's levels done for his Pheno and KBr, but I give both in two doses. Pheno 120mg and KBr 650mg at 6.30am along with Keppra 1000mg (not XL as we don't have this in U.K.). Then Pheno 180mg, KBr 650mg at 6.00pm along with Keppra 1000mg. (He also has Keppra 1000mg around 2.30-3.00pm).

To make things more difficult he is having Thyroxine twice daily due to Pheno induced lowered T4 levels.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
Thanks.S

SpencerBhumi

Re: BLOOD LEVELS FOR MAINTENANCE

Post by SpencerBhumi » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:22 am

Hi Maggsd,

Blood levels can be measured by 'peak', which are taken "x" hours after the drug was given, at the time when its peak uptake has occured.

Maintenance levels are usually measured as a 'trough', immediately before the next dose is due, to measure the lowest residual/effective dose still circulating - and it is usually these we measure pheno for epi dogs.
In your case, getting the blood sampled at either 6.30am/6pm may be a problem. The other minor problem is choosing your lowest trough: i.e. after the 120 or the 180 dose. If you are still increasing your doses I would think you will need to measure your lowest trough. If you are stable, you might need to measure the higher trough if looking to avoid toxicity. Discuss this with your vet. And then try to establish some means of getting a good time to have the blood taken.

Since the KBrom is the same dose, either time will be suitable.

I can see that this might be a bit of a logistical dilemma so I wish you well. I will keep you in my prayers.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,
Trevor.
In memory of Spencer (7-12-2005 - 22-8-17)

cathylister

Re: BLOOD LEVELS FOR MAINTENANCE

Post by cathylister » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 am

Great insight
Tomas | epoxyflooringmeridian.com