seizures following heartworm preventative

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

linda faber

seizures following heartworm preventative

Post by linda faber » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:06 pm

<t>Hello,<br/>
My almost 10 year old flat-coated retriever, Bosco, has had seizures for 7 years. He currently takes phenobarbital, topiramate and keppra and is fairly well-controlled. There is a definite correlation between the ingestion of the preventative (heart guard, interceptor) and a seizure, usually within a few hours. My Vet has advised to try topical Revolution which I now have in front of me but I'm afraid to use knowing what the possible consequence may be. He didn't seize after every dose of the oral meds and I don't know what to expect after this topical. We've lived through horrific clusters and status epilepticus.<br/>
I'm told he must have a preventative and the benefit outweighs the risk of seizure. Not easy to accept, I'm paralyzed.<br/>
Anyone else face this?<br/>
Thank you,<br/>
Linda</t>

SpencerBhumi

Re: seizures following heartworm preventative

Post by SpencerBhumi » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:28 am

Hi Linda.
We used Heartguard Plus for heartworm prevention. I was suspicious that these caused some fits but there was so much inconsistentcy V the need for protection I continued it.
We did use Frontline Plus for fleas but I stopped that on Spencer. Tick are never a problem in my area but fleas are. Spencer picked up some fleas so had to be treated. My vet recommended Revolution as the least likely to cause seizures so I used that with no notable change in Spencer's seizure activity. I did stagger it to mid-monthly (with Heartguard on the 1st day of each month) so as not to overdo the monthly bug poisons.
I appreciated your anxiety and I wish you well. I'll keep you and Bosco in my prayers.
Regards,Trevor.

In memoery of Spencer 7-12-2005 - 22-8-2017

linda faber

Re: seizures following heartworm preventative

Post by linda faber » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:11 am

Thank you Trevor. Btw, Bosco's first seizure was within several hours after application of Frontline PLUS. Prior to that had used just Frontline. I always suspected that the PLUS was his trigger. Last month he had a seizure within 3 hours of Interceptor after being seizure free for 3 months. As is the case with so many of us you never know; it's difficult to find consistency whether it positive or negative. We have no control, I get that, but giving him something which may trigger, is the worst of all.
Thanks again,
Linda