Anybody have luck w Purely Pets?

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

nlustgarten

Anybody have luck w Purely Pets?

Post by nlustgarten » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:41 pm

Hi everybody! I'm new to CEN but man what an amazing and comforting community this is. My goob Atlas was diagnosed w idiopathic epilepsy January of 2018 when he was just shy of 2 years old. He is a pitbull/cane corso mix. Since then I have been all over the spectrum trying to find natural, affordable remedies compared to our 3x a month $500-$1700 *cringe* vet visits due to clusters. Atlas's epilepsy was not always as intense as it is now. It began as just a seizure every few months - no biggie - but then progressed to clusters spanning as many as 12 in less than 8 hours. I've tried changing his diet (even going as far as trying a raw diet). I've tried 800mg CBD oil AM and PM (that shit's not cheap), and I've tried and been unsuccessful w Keppra (can't remember the dose but it was running me ab $70 per script), Chlorazepate to try sedating him post cluster (these eventually stopped working), started him on Phenobarb 97.2mg twice daily and he went a month and a half seizure free but then clustered every two weeks after initally breaking the cycle, now I have his dose doubled and he again went a month and a half seizure free so he's due for his next seizure this weekend (if I can even predict this). As a college student I've been put in a really shitty situation choosing between paying my tuition and rent, or Atlas's vet bills. He's my ESA, which I find ironic hahahaha but I don't have money to pay for an expensive doctor to tell me they can't find a cause or solution to the idiopathic epilepsy. I reached out to some people on Reddit, one of which directed me to Purely Pets. From what I understand it's an online holistic team (couple?) that helps you find natural aids and supplements to attempt to cure your dogs epilepsy or other disease. The testimonials located on the website are PHENOMENAL. However, I can't find a single review elsewhere. The initial phone consultation is $120 and afterwards they claim to help you via call, text, or email whenever w any future questions or concerns. Seems almost too good to be true. I'm wondering if anybody has tried Purely Pets and had any luck?

GentleJacob's Mom

Re: Anybody have luck w Purely Pets?

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:05 am

Hi back! I'm glad you found us and it's helping you through all of this. The people here were such a comfort, source of encouragement, support, and you name it, for over 11 years for me. I am sorry you're having to take on this horrible disease, especially while you're making you way through college. I want to say thank you for taking this on and standing by your best friend. That says a lot about you.
Purely Pets sounds familiar to me somehow, but I've never dealt with them directly. I will share my rule of thumb about these things. If anyone ever tells you they can "cure" epilepsy walk away. I can assure you without hesitation that if someone out there had a cure we would all know about it. I know at times it feels as though pharmaceutical co are guiding vets to use meds when it may not be necessary, and when we started our journey with Jake I kind of felt that way. I really didn't trust it especially with some of the high doses and changing medications. But as I got to know the vets and neurologists fighting this disease I realized this is a war they fight right along with us every day. The meds work for some dogs and not for others so it can be a painful guessing game trying to figure out what might work. Our vet loved our Jake almost as much as we did, and her whole team was crushed when he died. I know that if there was something out there that would've kept him from going through it she would've done it without hesitation. She's both holistic and conventional and also has a dog with epilepsy. I think if I were you I would check with Wally Foundation to see if they can help you with the cost of meds. They may even be able to give you donated Pb. They have a Facebook page with contact information.
As far as holistic treatments, we used several over the years. Some worked and some didn't. If it's at all possible I would search for a holistic vet that may be willing, since you're a student, to consult with you for less. If not let me know and I may be able to help you. Not guaranteeing anything but our vet may be able to help. I know she does phone consults.
Are you giving extra Pb after a seizure? Usually a half dose as soon as you are able to give it to him. We gave Jake his with ice cream and he loved it. You can do that for the first 24-48 hours and it's based on his weight etc. But talk to your vet before you do that. Also Keppra can be given after a seizure even if it's not a primary drug to help with clusters.
I hope this helps.
Let us know how you and Atlas are doing.
Lynne

nlustgarten

Post by nlustgarten » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:00 pm

Sorry, I misspoke. I doubt that the term they used on their website was "cure" as I remember them repeating there is no said cure to this nasty disease. Thank you very much for you suggestions. I will definitely check out the Wally Foundation and look for a holistic vet near me.
For a period I was giving him an extra dose of the Pb after the seizures. Initially it helped, but eventually he just became immune. And after the first extra dose if he kept seizing I was advised against another extra dose.
After his last cluster when I had to bring him into the vet for the IV, I couldn't afford to board him there over night so I brought him home and they gave me another drug to administer via his nose if he clustered again. I haven't had to use this yet (knock on wood), but plan to if he clusters soon.
He's due for his next seizure tonight. I did some OC w him earlier, so hopefully that helps. He's had a bit of an upset stomach tonight and keeps throwing up water. Haven't seen him do this before. Might just be an upset tummy, but still weird.
Thanks again.
Nicole

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:47 am

Hi Nicole,
I noticed you're from NC. So am I. I contacted our vet and she said she'd be more than happy to help you if she can either by email or phone. If you're interested you can send a message and I'll forward her information.
I have heard of some dogs having digestive issues associated with seizures and or meds.
I hope Atlas is doing better today.

Lynne

nlustgarten

Post by nlustgarten » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:56 am

Hey Lynne! I sent you a DM a while back. I'm not sure if you saw it! I'd love to get your vets info.

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:04 pm

I didn't get notification from CEN. I'm so sorry. I'll be in touch right away.

Lynne