Phenobarbital - different manufacturers

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Alliezig

Phenobarbital - different manufacturers

Post by Alliezig » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:59 pm

Ziggy is very sensitive to medication and seems to do well on only one brand of generic Keppra. However, today when I picked up his phenobarbital the vet furnished a different brand of phenobarbital - does anyone have experience with changing brands? As to the Keppra, I have gone to great lengths to obtain the same generic, Camber. It does not mean that Camber is worse or better than another generic but it is the only generic that does not upset Ziggy's stomach and seems to control his seizures best. People with seizures have commented on different generics of Keppra but I cannot find any input as to different generics of phenobarbital.

Thank you.
Mary Lou and Ziggy
1000 mg Keppra 3 x day; 1.5 grams Phenobarbital 2 x day

Alliezig

Re: Phenobarbital - different manufacturers

Post by Alliezig » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:18 pm

I found the same phenobarbital at CVS and had the vet write a prescription but next month I might try the vet's generic.
Mary Lou and Ziggy
1000 mg Keppra 3 x day; 1.5 grams Phenobarbital 2 x day