Other dog's reaction to a seizing dog.

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

hricher

Other dog's reaction to a seizing dog.

Post by hricher » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Hello,
I have a 7 year old English Setter with Epilepsy. He has not had a seizure in the past 2 1/2 years while on Zonisomide. The vet has suggested that we wean him off the Zonisomide. We now have a second dog, a 2 year old female Siberian Husky. I was wondering how she would react if my setter has a seizure. I have heard that some dogs attack a seizing dog. What experience do you have?

SpencerBhumi

Re: Other dog's reaction to a seizing dog.

Post by SpencerBhumi » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Hello hricher,

Welcome to the forum. It is very encouraging to hear that your seizures are under control. It would be great if you can wean off the medication – go carefully, and I wish you the best of luck with this.

We had two dogs, mum and her son Spencer (English Springer Spaniels). When Spencer fitted mum would sit back and watch with an appearance of “what’s he up to now” or “here he goes again”.
During the unconscious/resting phase mum would wander up and give Spencer a sniff then she’d go and lie down.

Our issues were during Spencer’s post ictal wandering – mindless pacing/blind running/dazed ambling – where he would just stumble through and over anything, including his mother. This period would set mum on edge but she would keep out of his way. If Spencer did stumble over her she would snap and growl at him, biting his ears. Most of Spencer’s fit related injuries were bitten ears. Apart from this, they were great together.

Again I wish you well, with both the medication and the pair of dogs. I will keep you in my prayers.

Regards,
Trevor.
In memory of Spencer (7-12-2005 – 22-8-2017)

Box40Rin

Post by Box40Rin » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:25 am

Good morning, Welcome to the forum. I am one of the moderators and a retired veterinarian. I agree with Trevor. That has been my own personal experience with seizuring dogs I had two at the time and the second one was younger, a female (other was male). Mostly she just looked worried. Hope this helps. Keep us posted. We are interested. box40rin

ShilohsMom

Post by ShilohsMom » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 pm

Congrats on getting the seizures under control!!! Hope you're able to wean him off his meds.

I was fortunate that my other two didn't seem to be bothered by Shiloh's seizures. Rylie pretty much ignored him and Izzie would avoid him. I could tell with Izzie that Shiloh's seizures made her nervous but she would just go to a different part of the house when he was seizing or going through the post ictal phase. Because each dog is different I'd just make sure to monitor them so if a seizure does happen you'll be there to intervene should it be necessary.
Colleen, Rylie, Sophie & angels Izzie & Shiloh
DOB: 11/11/05
First seizure: 07/28//10
Last seizure: 06/27/16

KillysMama

Post by KillysMama » Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Jericho is honestly fairly traumatized by Killian's seizures - but only since he went into status in January. I think even he was convinced that pup wasn't coming home from the hospital that time. Jericho had to go through a short term period of seizures with my 17 year old shep/collie at the end - the last two days before Maquis passed, he'd had a couple of seizures and I think a lot of the stress of Killy's condition comes from the fact that Jericho lost his best friend after seeing it happen before.

Jeri gets upset when Killy starts - he barks, he runs around, he makes sure that we're up and alerted to the seizure starting. After that, he spends the entire seizure trying to shove toys at Killian - to make him feel better? to comfort him? After, he follows him quite carefully until Killy's wits are all back about him again and he's able to carry on.

Never seen him get violent with him.. always just concerned.
Lea and Killian
3 year old Barbet/Shepherd
1st Seizure 5/24/17
Last Seizure 7/16/18
We will not go gently.