Breeding

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

mick1

Breeding

Post by mick1 » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:04 pm

I have a stud dog who has possibly produced one seizing pup in over 100 puppies. Problem is, I cannot get any information on the seizing pup-ie- how many seizures, what kind, circumstances, if there has been any testing, etc...the breeder of the litter has been quite uncooperative, and I have even asked if it were possible to talk to the owners of the seizing dog...what do I do? there is some familial occurances of epi- uncle has produced 2 (one the bitch's sire has produced it in multiple litters), the grandmother, great-grandmother have produced it. My dogs dam's side seems pretty clean at least as far as I know. The bitch he's produced it with, also has some familial history of epi. Do I pull my dog? or ? I just cant seem to get any information from anyone! Its very frustrating!

Thanks

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:18 am

You will find a lot of breeders do not want to know of epilepsy in their lines. When my Dogue started seizing I contacted the Mastiff breeders club here in New Zealand to ask if there were any other Dogues who had this problem. I was greeted with dead silence. They would not even publish my request to talk to anyone in the club magazine even though I was a member. It's been a year now and I still cannot find out any information.
I do not think you will have any success in your search for answers. Even if you did manage to contact the puppies owners they will not know the entire history of the lines. I think the reaction will be - well if he has only thrown one puppy in a 100 how do you know epilepsy is genetic - could be a toxic reaction.
One has to look at when the puppy had vaccinations and did these seizures happen shortly afterwards. Also what are the owners feeding it, has it just left the mother and have they suddenly change its diet - all of these can cause seizures.

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:58 am

Why people continue to breed dogs when they know there's epilepsy or anything else in their lines, just blows my mind!! I guess producing litters and making money from them is far more important than the well being of the poor critters.

I never had any intentions of breeding my boy and now that he has had seizures, the breeder will not allow his littermates to be bred either. Dr. Dodds told me that she suspects his seizures are from vaccines, but to wait until the littemates are 4 years old to make sure none of them will seize. MY neurologist told her the only way she'd know if his seizures were genetic was to keep breeding and if there were future pups that seized, then she'd know it was genetic. Fortunately, I have a breeder with a conscience and she does not want to be responsible for puppies with problems. My boy's mother didnt' have epilepsy in her lines, but the sire's owners weren't quite honest with my breeder. They told her there was no epilepsy, only to find out there WAS some way back in the lines. There is no test to prove whether or not the seizures are from epilepsy or some other reason. Sometimes the genetics are there and it takes 2 dogs with a perfect match for disaster. Dogs with known epi genes should not be bred, ever!!!

I can't understand the breeder of the bitch not wanting to cooperate with you. THat's not very responsible of her at all. I hope you will no longer continue to do business with her!! :)