Contacting a breeder

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

Lisa Z

Contacting a breeder

Post by Lisa Z » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:50 pm

I need opinions from everyone. In January I rescued a 3 1/2 yr old full bred male Havanese. He was left at my vets by his previous owners to be euthanized. I am now in possession of all his records and I stumbled upon the breeder he was purchased from. Should I contact this breeder and let them know about the epilepsy? Also, if I want to participate in any kind of genetic study would I need papers proving Bruno is a full bred Havanese?

Thanks in advance,

Lisa Z and epi Bruno, currently on 500mg Keppra TID, 2 1/4gr. tabs Pb BID and supplements
non epis Henry and Ella too!
Orange County, NY
currently in N.Myrtle Beach, SC

Gentle Jacob's mom

Re: Contacting a breeder

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:24 am

Hi Lisa,
Definitely contact the breeder, and hope that they actually acknowledge the problem. Unfortunately there are breeders who could care less, and pull the usual "We've never had a problem with that before." trick. They need to know and will hopefully stop breeding his relatives. I can't remember if we needed Jake's papers or not. I think we did. Does the previous owner know Bruno is still alive? If not, you may want to leave this all alone because there could be a legal issue since he wasn't euthaniized. I know someone that did the same thing, and there was a bit of a problem, but it was worked out. That was along time ago so I don't know how that applies now. The dog lived a very happy thirteen years.
Lynne

Lisa Z

Post by Lisa Z » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am

Hi Lynne, thanks for your reply. The previous owners signed away their rights when they dropped Bruno off at the animal hospital so I don't think there can be any legal repercussions. They are aware Bruno wasn't euthanized but I would prefer they don't know that I have him. As it turns out, I accidentally discovered they are neighbors to my sister because the vet passed along Bruno's meds to me and I recognized the address. I was hoping if I contacted the breeder, that they would supply me the proper papers once I tell them I want to participate in a gene study.

Thanks,

Lisa Z

Gentle Jacob's mom

Post by Gentle Jacob's mom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 am

Hi Lisa.
If you don't feel comfortable having contact with the previous owner (I don't blame you), you or maybe better your vet (since they signed away the rights to the vet) can also contact AKC and request the ID# number associated with Bruno. I think that's all you'll need besides a birthdate. You can find more information here on CEN about donating a sample. There's also information on the "Toby's Foundation" website. I'm glad Bruno found a good mom to take care of him!

Lynne