Underground Electric Fence

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

Lisa Z

Underground Electric Fence

Post by Lisa Z » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi I need info on the safety of using a collar for the electric fence on an epi dog. I have a 3 1/2 yr old epi Havanese whom I rescued in January. My home is on an acre and 1/2 and when I got my 2 other dogs four years ago, we installed an electric fence. At the time, being these were the 1st two dogs I've ever owned, I thought it was an excellent idea. I've come under fire from more experienced people saying they thought it was cruel. At any rate, my 2 other dogs are so well trained, I don't even have to put the collars on them anymore. I feel bad that my epi dog can't run and play with them. Does anyone know if these collars are dangerous to use on an epileptic dog? My gut is telling me it's probably not a good idea but I sure do wish I could let him run and play with the other dogs. It would cost a fortune to fence in my yard with a traditional fence.

Lisa Z and epi Bruno 17lb Havanese 500mg Keppra TID, 32.4mg Pb BID, Denemarin, Omegas 3&6, Probiotics from Goat Milk yogurt, Dasuquin. Orijen Regional Red/Petcurean NOW! Grain Free and a little bit of home cookin'
Non episHenry and Ella too!
Orange County, NY
currently in sunny, warm N. Myrtle Beach, SC

Carolyn

Re: Underground Electric Fence

Post by Carolyn » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:06 pm

Sorry I would never rely on one of those with my dogs, specially with Kiya having seizures. If she got away and couldn't get her meds.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

Lisa Z

Post by Lisa Z » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:18 pm

Hi Carolyn, I guess I didn't make it clear but I never let the dogs go out alone. I am always with them even WITH the fence. I was just wondering if it's even safe to use on an epileptic dog.

Thanks,

Lisa

Carolyn

Post by Carolyn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:01 pm

I have a hot wire running from my horse fence to keep the dogs off our rhodies and my garden. Kiya knows not to touch it, I'm sure she's gotten zapped in the past.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

bgnt23

Post by bgnt23 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:28 am

I don't know if you ever received an answer to your question but I had checked into purchasing an invisible fence. The company advised a warning not to be used for pets with cardio disease and also it may trigger seizures.

bgnt23
10 year old GSD
KBR 1500mg once daily
Zonisamide 200mg twice daily
L-thyroxine 0.8mg 1.5 twice daily
Hypoallergenic diet
Phenobarb 64.8mg twice daily (decreasing dose)
Tincture 0.5ml once daily
bgnt23
10 year old GSD
KBR 1500mg once daily
Zonisamide 200mg twice daily
L-thyroxine 0.8mg 1.5 twice daily
Hypoallergenic diet
Phenobarb 64.8mg once daily (decreasing dose)
Tincture 0.5ml once daily

Lisa Z

Post by Lisa Z » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:48 am

Thanks for your response. After talking to my vet again and consulting with the neurologist, AND talking to the guy who originally installed my fence three years ago, the consensus was that every dog is different...that being said, because Bruno is on meds, mostly likely it won't be an issue. I am happy to say since Bruno has been fitted with his collar last September, we haven't had any problems. The added bonus is he is SOOO happy to be running and playing with his brother and sister! :D