English Setters with Epilepsy

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

hricher

English Setters with Epilepsy

Post by hricher » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:14 pm

My English Setter Chaz who is 5 1/2 years old was diagnosed with epilepsy last spring. He had 2 Grand Mal seizures within 10 days and was prescribed Zonisamide afterwards. This drug has worked beautifully for Chaz and he has been seizure free, alert and happy for months now.
Today I found out from the breeder that 2 of Chaz's brothers also have epilepsy and that she had stopped breeding when she realized that her bloodline had been tainted by one of Chaz's great-grandfathers. I will try and find out which one and report back.

Thank you for this resource!!!

MK's mom

Re: English Setters with Epilepsy

Post by MK's mom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:51 am

Bravo to her for ending that line for breeding! The trouble is; she has no way of knowing if the grandfather threw the epilepsy or where it came from, but at least she's trying. (Unless of course the grandfather has thrown epilepsy in other litters and this was known already before breeding your litter). I'm also wondering why you didn't know of the littermates who seized until you told her about Chaz? Usually the breeders who aren't trying to hide anything alert ALL the owners of said litter when a problem arises, it sounds like you were kept clueless until your Chaz started seizing, too.

I have Irish Setters..way too many in the breed are seizing, but it doesn't stop some of the breeders from using dogs from known epileptic lines in their breeding programs. I wish a definite test could be developed because until it is too many breeders tend to blame others rather than admitting there might be a problem in their lines.

I hope your kid is doing ok with the zonisamide.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea