Test Breedings

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

Nancy Bartol

Test Breedings

Post by Nancy Bartol » Mon Jun 18, 2001 9:10 pm

At some point in the genetic research, will it be necessary to do test breedings?

Ned Patterson DVM

Post by Ned Patterson DVM » Tue Jun 19, 2001 10:02 am

Nancy,

From my perspective I would like to avoid having to do test breedings. In any breed in which the mode of inheritance looks like it is one gene, we should be able to find a genetic marker linked to the epilepsy gene if we can get enough samples. We could then develop a marker test. Then we would try to find the actual gene for a test that should be very close to 100% accurate. If there is a gene that has been mapped near the marker that is likely to cause epilepsy it may be relatively straight forward to identify the actual genetic mutation. If there is not a good candidate gene finding the mutation, it might be very costly and time consuming to identify the actual gene, and it might be faster to do some test matings to reduce tht time or cost. However I would like to avoid test matings, because our goal is to decrease/eliminate Epilepsy, and I would like to avoid producing more epileptic dogs by test breedings even if that helps find the answer. I am hopeful that we have a good chance of identifying the genes in many breeds by only using dogs that already have epilepsy.

[This message has been edited by Ned Patterson DVM (edited 06-19-2001).]