thyreoid?

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

Annemuri

thyreoid?

Post by Annemuri » Mon Feb 16, 2004 2:52 am

The dog (Golden Retriever) of my friend was suffering from serious seizures. She did many tests and dog was treated with different anti-epileptic medicaments, but it had no effect until some vet gave some kind of thyreoid medicaments to her dog. The dog has not had seizures since this. Nevertheless she is convinced that her dog has had inheritable idiopatic epilepsy.

The problem is that my dog has same mother with her dog - but the sires were different. As far as I know about the earlier generations of my dog, they did not have seizures. Despite her warnings I decided to breed my nice dog. And literally day before the puppies were born, the owner of my dog's brother came to me and said that his dog had got epilepsy about 6 months ago...

I do not know what to do. I have litter of puppies now. Could their risk for epilepsy be considered significantly higher (comparing with litter which doesn't have any relatives having seizures refering to epilepsy).

My language is not good, but I hope this was understandable...