beagle pup

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

copper03

beagle pup

Post by copper03 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:16 pm

i purchased a pure breed beagle pup to find out the owner has never witnessed a seizure in the father or mother but stores them in a shed. my pup one week after i brougth her home she started seizing i was distraught and thought she was going to die at first but was then consoled in searching for info and educating myself. the vet thinks she has inherited epilepsy he didn't really try to explain things to me and thru further probing his employees i found out more about his friend the breeder i purchased the pups from has a history of "bad luck" my pup had hernias on top of all the other stuff. they fixed the hernias when she was fixed but i have to ask what should i think or do... should this breeder be continuing to breed (i saw him with pups at the vets!) and i decided that i can't go to the vet anymore because i feel sorta angry when i see the breeder. i mean breeding unhealthy animals... not everyone would take good care of them and furthermore the vet at first confided i could alway just put my pup to sleep! like this was exactly what i needed to hear...
i love my dog i wouldn't trade her with any other one but i also feel if he continues to breed unhealthy pups it just is immoral.
my mother also adopted a puppy from the litter and he had his first seizure last week that is what got me all fired up again. what can i do? i know probably nothing but am i off base?

beagle1

Beagle Puppy

Post by beagle1 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:46 am

I'm sorry I didn't see your message earlier. I too, have a beagle that suffers from idiopathic or genetically transmitted epilepsy. He also is the result of a careless breeder who thinks more about money than he did about the animals health. Copper has cluster seizures, which is one right after another. I love my dog and wouldn't trade him for the world. What we have done is to put him on a regiment of phenobarbital and potassium bromide. It has lessened the frequency and severity of his seizures by quite a bit. Now he only has seizures about once a month, and sometimes has gone as much as three months without a seizure. I would recommend that you find a vet your comfortable with and who is willing to work closely with you to manage your pups seizures. I wish you luck and hope that everything works out okay for you and your dog.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:00 pm

Beagles are well know for having epilepsy in the breed. I wish you well with pup.