What is Rage Syndrome?

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

Andrea

What is Rage Syndrome?

Post by Andrea » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:22 pm

I am new to this site. We recently had to put our 3 year old English Setter to sleep. We were told he had something called Rage Syndrome. Jackson was a very sweet natured, intelligent, and loving dog. Jack was fine until he was around 2 1/2 years. One night out of the blur and without any provocation, he grabbed my sons hand and wouldn't let go. Afterward, this lasted for about 10 seconds, he let go then went to the other side of the room, shaking and acted as if he didn't know what happened. It then happened the next night with my husband, and myself. We all thought that he was ill, took him to the vet and did blood work. Jack's lab results were all fine, and he acted like his old self again. 6 months went by, and I started to notice the past week, that our 13 year English Springer Spaniel, Angel, wouldn't go near him, avoiding him at all costs. Jack started to dig nightly into the rug and floor, lick his paw pads constantly and wouldn't respond to me to have him stop. I was as if he was obsessed with his feet. He then started to challenge our springer and fight with her. 5 days ago, Jack came at my husband, who just went to pet him, then my son and finally attacked me. I was petting him, he suddenly went rigid, tail straight down to the ground, then turned to look at me, his eyes were all black, not beautiful brown. He then lunged at my arm, grabbed it with such a strength, wouldn't let go. He held for a while, let go, then grabbed me again, let go then again grabbed me. I had to shake him off and my Springer jumped at him and he fell off of me. Jack ran to the other side of the room, almost paranoid of us, like he didn't know us. It wasn't until 5 hours later that he snapped out of this state and came over to me, tail wagging as if nothing ever happened. I do not belive he knew what he was doing. We took him to the vet, but with reluctance, decided to put him down, in fear that he would hurt someone. Please tell me if this is a form of Epilepsy? Is there anything that could have been done? His background was Champion and alot of inbreeding ,
could this have something to do with it? What should I look for to hopefully prevent getting another puppy this way? Thanks for any information.

Andrea

Nancy Antoniak

Post by Nancy Antoniak » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:30 pm

I am sorry no one got back to you about this behavior. I am not a professional, but I would tend to think that this was some kind of seizure. I have seen this behavior in the practice I am in, and yes they put the dog down. It was very sad. For what it is worth, I think you did the right thing. I am so sorry! I know how it feels to "let go".
Trucker: German Shepherd Mix
D.O.B 3/22/03
M/n
First seizure 9/7/05
Taking 1gr Pheno 4t BID
Valium tabs. and inj. for back-up (Clusters)

Dylans Dad

Post by Dylans Dad » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:48 am

I heard once a very brief referance to a type of epilepsy that caused a dog to attack, but have never been able to find it in my searches.
I have tried cuz Dylan sometimes gets a very bad attitude, even before the siezures started. never just out of the blue like that, but he has issues with certian things.
Wags & Slurps
Debby & Dylan
6 yr old Border collie
1st aug 7 2006
last 7-18-08
375 MG kbr twice a day
1 47.5 pb twice a day

Carolyn

Rage syndrome

Post by Carolyn » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:14 am

I have heard 2 cases 1 was Kiya's 1/2 sister. They were unable to get her siezures under control, she developed rage syndrome and was put down. The other was a friend who's little dog don't remember the breed, no epilepsy, just got really agressive toward her, she tried to find an alternative action but was forced to put the dog down too. I don't think it's related to epilepsy, but Im sure epilepsy has a way of bringing on all kinds of issues. I have noticed Kiya has changed since she was a baby. She developed this "space issue" if anyone lays too close to her she will growl, get up & walk away. I also noticed she is definately more agressive when playing. Nothing would suprise me these days.
Carolyn
Kiya 11yr Shiloh Shepherd
PB 60mg am 90mg pm, 1teas kbr 1200mg, turmeric paste
1000mg milkthistle bid
First seizure 11/27/05
Last seizure 5/21/15

Nancy Antoniak

Rage Syndrome

Post by Nancy Antoniak » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:33 pm

I found a site. I hope it helps!
www.cockerspanielrage/whatisrage.htm
D.O.B 3/22/03
M/n
First seizure 9/7/05
Taking 1gr Pheno 4t BID

Nancy Antoniak

Rage Syndrome

Post by Nancy Antoniak » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:39 pm

OOPS! Let me try that again.
www.cockerspanielrage.org.uk/whatisrage.htm
D.O.B 3/22/03
M/n
First seizure 9/7/05
Taking 1gr Pheno 4t BID

alo_fra

Re: What is Rage Syndrome?

Post by alo_fra » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:30 am

Is a serious but rare behavioural problem that has been reported most commonly in the English Cocker Spaniel
http://www.dotto.me/blog/studiare-medicina-veterinaria/