Miniature Wirehair Dachshunds

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

romandachs

Miniature Wirehair Dachshunds

Post by romandachs » Tue Feb 08, 2005 12:30 pm

I sent in two samples of affected miniature wirehair dachshunds, I sent 4 samples total, 2 affected, 2 non affected family members, I was wondering since the affected dog I own appears to have the same type of seizures that the gene was found. Was these samples or information sent on to the researchers who found this gene?? Have you attempted to find the gene in these samples yourself?? Are you collaborating information and samples to work with each other and help with eachothers studies?? Do you notify people when a specific type of epilepsy gene has been found in their dogs. Is there are certain treatment recommended for certain types of Eplilepsy? I am just curious to know how well the researchers work together when the goal is getting results.
Thanks for any info.
Rebecca Decker
Romandachs Dachshunds

Liz Hansen
Site Admin

Collaboration on research

Post by Liz Hansen » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:48 pm

This canine epilepsy research effort involves several researchers at the University of Missouri and the University of Minnesota, with input from others and several other institutions. The researcher in Canada that discovered the LaFora epilepsy gene did contact us and we sent samples from affected dogs of every breed we have in the project. Rebecca, I will contact you privately regarding your individual dogs.

The researchers that are part of the Canine Epilepsy Network are very interested in collaborating to find the answers dog owners, breeders, and veterinarians can use to improve the lives of dogs and those who care for them. We share information and samples, and use different approaches so that we don't overlap, but rather compliment what the other researchers in the consortium are doing. Our sincere hope is that this approach will lead to the identification of genetic markers in many or all breeds much more quickly than each of us would be able to do working in isolation. When markers are identified, the test will be made available at a reasonable cost so that breeders can use the information to breed dogs free of epilepsy in the future. We also hope that understanding the mutations causing epilepsy will help improve treatment of dogs (and humans) affected with the disease.

Liz Hansen
Project Coordinator

romandachs

Thank You!!

Post by romandachs » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:59 pm

Thanks for your QUICK reply. I think so much is going on within Canine Genetics that this is a VERY exciting time for dog owners, breeders and fanciers.
I am very ashamed of my breed in particular. I know there are likely hundreds if not thousands of dachshunds afflicted with Epilepsy yet there have only been 7 affected dogs submitted for this study. I think this is tragic! I will once again post information on this study on all of the e-lists I belong to. Perhaps "someone" will decide to get involved.
Thanks for all you do, I, for one, am VERY APPRECIATIVE!
Rebecca Decker
Romandachs Dachshunds