Breeding with siblings of affected dogs

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

n.jones700

Breeding with siblings of affected dogs

Post by n.jones700 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:11 pm

I've noticed a couple of times you say 'be cautious when using siblings of affected dogs'.
Can I clarify this?
If you use a sibling of an affected then be sure to mate very different lines?
I have a 2.5yr old male border collie who is 'wanted' for stud but I have refused as a litter sister started fitting about 3 mths ago and all the signs are that it is idiopathic epilepsy.
Is it possible to use him on a bitch from very different lines?

Nic

CollieLover

BREEDING

Post by CollieLover » Fri May 27, 2005 7:54 am

My understanding (if you can call it that) is that each dog from a litter can be very different genetically concerning epilepsy....that some puppies will be affected, some not affected but are carriers, and some not affected and not carriers. Any answers for us on this? Is there a percentage chart of possible affects on a litter? THANKS!

Cathleen Griffin

Breeding

Post by Cathleen Griffin » Tue May 31, 2005 3:12 pm

Your boy is only 2-1/2 years old. What's the hurry? Males can often breed successfully into their teens. Do some research into his line and into the genetics of heritable disease generally and seizures specifically. As the previous poster said, your dog could sire unaffected, affected, or carrier pups. Breeding is a huge responsibility, and time is on your side.

Cathleen
mooselookchinooks@adelphia.net