Epilepsy in collies

This is the main focus of the research underway by the Canine Epilepsy Research Consortium. Some of your questions may not have clear answers at this time, but ask them anyway!

Moderator: Box40Rin

CollieLover

Epilepsy in collies

Post by CollieLover » Fri May 27, 2005 7:44 am

I am here to learn all I can about epilepsy.
I am interested in keeping my collie line free of it, if at all possible, and this site seems to be the best one I have found. None of my dogs has had a seizure, but I am now breeding, not just showing, and want to keep on top of this subject, as well as all the other things genetically involved with dos, and collies in particular. I am interested in collie lines or particular dogs that are known to be carriers/exhibitors of epilesy.
Any information is appreciated.
I will be submitting DNA samples on all of my dogs, so I know where I may stand in the future. Thanks.

kruizcoli

Border collies

Post by kruizcoli » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:58 am

hi there, i am new to this netwrok and live in scotland, UK
I am also trying to find out on information on epilepsy in border collies over here." years ago i bred my first litter of pups from my breed line bitch to a great obedience dog with a good pedigree. All the pups are doing really well and i kept one who is a total star and all doing great at obedience. Loadsd of top handlers from england have been so impressed with all the pups that they have shwon interest in the repeat mating i had planned for next summer.
However last weekend one of the pups suffered a seizure and I am totally devastated. She appears to be fine now thank goodness and her owners took her to the vets and all the tests appear fine. She goes back this weekend for further tests. I am struggling to find ant information on the inheritance of epilepsy in border collies over here! I am going to follow the advice of the Americans which is to not mate the parents again, but it is heart breaking as my pups are my life. Both dam and sire have never had any seizures before. The sire has since my litter had another litter where there do not appear to be any problems. His dam and several previous generations from her have never had any problems. I should really speak to the breeder of my little bitch (the dam of the affected pup) but am worried about upestting them or having them being angry at me for possible suggesting there might be epilepsy in their lines as both of them are quite prolific breeders over here.

Any advice, a very concerned and confused louise, tia and bilbo

CollieLover

One siezure.....

Post by CollieLover » Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:54 pm

Louise,
My understanding is that a bitch may seizure near her heat cyle, and that this is NOT unusual at all. When I heard this I questioned seven different breeders that I know and all of them said that it is very possible for a bitch to seizure at or near her first few heat cycles. I would ask people that you know are breeding and see what they say. Maybe you could email other knowledgable breeders.
My vet also said it is not unheard of, and acutally something he does not treat unless a history of seizures develops. He said that these dogs most often never have another one in their lives. So, would check the background of your dogs (sire & dam) and pray that you do get honest answers, talk to your vet - see what he says about it - and repeat the breeding if all else looks good. GOOD LUCK, and I hope the DNA test for epilipsy becomes available SOON!!! Hope this helps a little....at least it is another avenue to check out. Peggy

kruizcoli

seizure

Post by kruizcoli » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:04 pm

Thanks Peggy for your advice.
The pup who had this seizure was speyed after her first season when she was one. The pups were 2 years old in July so unfortunately that has been ruled out. She went back from tests last weekend. Because it was just a small seizure, only lasting about 10 minutes, and she recovered totally fine then the vet only did blood tests, and has said it might or might not happen again. They would not do any more intrusive tests unless it happened again and she did not spring right back to normal straight away.
There really is no information on it over here!
I am just plucking up the courage just now to contact my other pups owners and let them know the news. One had asked for another pup from the repeat mating i had been going to do, so i know she will be so disappointed. I spoke to my vet today and he reckoned epilepsy is not inherited, not any more prevalent in border collies than in any other breeds, which leads me to think either i'm over reacting or he doesn't know as much about the inheritance of epilepsy as i have managed to find out inthe last 2 weeks, which doesn't do much for my confidence in any advice he can give me!!!

Thank you so much for helping with my many, many questions.
Louise

CollieLover

Hi Louise

Post by CollieLover » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:58 pm

Louise,
I have a friend who is much more informed about genetics (especially collies) and if you like I could see if she would like to answer any questions you may have. Just let me know and I will tell her you would like to speak to (email) her. You can send me your email address if you like and I will forward it to her....I am pretty sure she will be willing though I know she is busy. But, she has been breeding collies for decades and is well versed in about anything you can come up with.
Peggy