Seizures in Italian Greyhounds/Dog "Aware" During

Would you like to see your club more involved in making members aware of epilepsy in your breed? Has your club done a good job on a health survey, or awareness campaign? Any novel fundraisers or other activities by your club? Please share what you would like to see your clubs do, and the things that clubs are already doing that have worked.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

bree

Seizures in Italian Greyhounds/Dog "Aware" During

Post by bree » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:34 pm

Hi..I'm a first timer to this website and am SO appreciative for the advice and support. I have 2 female Italian Greyhounds, one of whom will be 9 years old this month and has been experienceing seizures approx. monthly or less (maybe 9 times per year total) since she was 2. When she was younger, the seizures would involve muscle weakness, shaking and arcing of her head and neck and a loss of consciousness (which I understand is common). We would just talk to her during the seizure and then she would generally either spring right back to normal or take a brief nap afterwards. For the last couple of years, she has seemed not to lose consciousness (at least not totally) when she's shaking and arcing and if we try to get close to her, she gets anxious and tries to growl and/or nip at us. Is it unusual for a dog to seize and be aware of her surroundings...always heard that they weren't aware of anything during a seizure? Also, is there any known connection between treats with preservatives/additives or even extra salt? We started to give her chicken breast treats preserved with salt 3 days ago resulting in her drinking more water and today she had a seizure...her normal diet is Science Diet Oral Care..any advice would be much appreciated...I should also mention that the breeder told us a couple of years ago that our dog's littermate also has had seizures since age 2, so heredity may very well be a factor here...thanks!

alo_fra

Re: Seizures in Italian Greyhounds/Dog "Aware" During

Post by alo_fra » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:23 pm

Here some examples test

thelifeofapanca

Re: Seizures in Italian Greyhounds/Dog "Aware" During

Post by thelifeofapanca » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:12 am

bree wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:34 pm
Hi..I'm a first timer to this website and am SO appreciative for the advice and support. I have 2 female Italian Greyhounds, one of whom will be 9 years old this month and has been experienceing seizures approx. monthly or less (maybe 9 times per year total) since she was 2. When she was younger, the seizures would involve muscle weakness, shaking and arcing of her head and neck and a loss of consciousness (which I understand is common). We would just talk to her during the seizure and then she would generally either spring right back to normal or take a brief nap afterwards. For the last couple of years, she has seemed not to lose consciousness (at least not totally) when she's shaking and arcing and if we try to get close to her, she gets anxious and tries to growl and/or nip at us. Is it unusual for a dog to seize and be aware of her surroundings...always heard that they weren't aware of anything during a seizure? Also, is there any known connection between treats with preservatives/additives or even extra salt? We started to give her chicken breast treats preserved with salt 3 days ago resulting in her drinking more water and today she had a seizure...her normal diet is Science Diet Oral Care..any advice would be much appreciated...I should also mention that the breeder told us a couple of years ago that our dog's littermate also has had seizures since age 2, so heredity may very well be a factor here...thanks!
Thank you for sharing!