Seizures in Italian Greyhounds/Dog "Aware" During

Would you like to see your club more involved in making members aware of epilepsy in your breed? Has your club done a good job on a health survey, or awareness campaign? Any novel fundraisers or other activities by your club? Please share what you would like to see your clubs do, and the things that clubs are already doing that have worked.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

bree

Post by bree » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi..I'm a first timer to this website and am SO appreciative for the advice and support. I have 2 female Italian Greyhounds, one of whom will be 9 years old this month and has been experienceing seizures approx. monthly or less (maybe 9 times per year total) since she was 2. When she was younger, the seizures would involve muscle weakness, shaking and arcing of her head and neck and a loss of consciousness (which I understand is common). We would just talk to her during the seizure and then she would generally either spring right back to normal or take a brief nap afterwards. For the last couple of years, she has seemed not to lose consciousness (at least not totally) when she's shaking and arcing and if we try to get close to her, she gets anxious and tries to growl and/or nip at us. Is it unusual for a dog to seize and be aware of her surroundings...always heard that they weren't aware of anything during a seizure? Also, is there any known connection between treats with preservatives/additives or even extra salt? We started to give her chicken breast treats preserved with salt 3 days ago resulting in her drinking more water and today she had a seizure...her normal diet is Science Diet Oral Care..any advice would be much appreciated...thanks!

bree

Post by bree » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:36 pm

Forgot to mention that we learned from the breeder shortly after our dog began having seizures that her littermate also has seizures so there is obviously at least some inheritance factor going on here

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:34 pm

Food is definately one of the things that can contribute to seizures, includung a sudden change in diet. Anything with high salt content is bad and I suggest that you stop giving anything with the high salt immediately.

manymanyhounds

Post by manymanyhounds » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:59 pm

Once Dancer started seizing, we immediately started him on the all natural (healthy dog) food from the guardian angels web site. I had a feeling it was connected and since we are vegetarian and mostly organic, it made sense.

All of our manymanyhounds are thriving on this all natural food and treats. As it relates to the seizure, I'm not completely sure yet but it's better than the alternative, right?
To us anyway.
Dancer 07/04/01-07/28/08
Staghound
We love you sweet Dancer Bear!

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:37 am

While I do not have a problem with being a vegetarian you have to realise that dogs are carnivors. Their internal structure is for a high protein diet. While ours have a relatively low acid and long digestion time theirs is the exact opposite. They cannot digest too many grains - their bodies are not built for it. Check out a site called volhard - she has a lot of food type ideas including vegetarian for dogs.I have posted this site on here before but cannot remember all of the address but you can do a search - it's within the last month.

Found it - www.volhard.com/holistic/artbywv.htm
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux