Awareness

Would you like to see your club more involved in making members aware of epilepsy in your breed? Has your club done a good job on a health survey, or awareness campaign? Any novel fundraisers or other activities by your club? Please share what you would like to see your clubs do, and the things that clubs are already doing that have worked.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Dougie

Awareness

Post by Dougie » Sat Nov 24, 2001 8:16 pm

Orkney, Scotland, UK

Before one of my dogs had his first siezure, I had been only marginally aware that dogs could suffer from epilepsy - I had never seen an epileptic dog. Since thi started, I have found that many, many people don't know that dogs can be epileptic.

I am not a member of any dog clubs (my Border Collies are not pedigreed - just born in a barn on a working farm!) and there are no specific clubs where I live.

I have, however, put links wherever I have the ability to do so, so that other people can read about canine epilepsy and be more aware of the problems - whether they own dogs or not! I wish I had the resources to mount a real crusade!

Liz Hansen
Site Admin

Post by Liz Hansen » Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:02 pm

Hello Dougie,
You are correct - most people have no idea that dogs can have epilepsy until they see it for themselves. Unfortunately there are far too many owners living with this problem. We hope that this research can reduce this heartache for breeders and owners, and help dogs live long, seizure-free lives. Any help you can give to make others aware of the problem and aware of resources such as this website is a positive step, and we do appreciate it!

Liz