stability, then reocurrence of seizures

What additions to CEN would you like to see?

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

welshdog

stability, then reocurrence of seizures

Post by welshdog » Sun May 14, 2006 6:54 pm

My 10 y.o. Welsh Terrier bagan having grand mal seizures the night she came home from the vet--annual immunizations, dental scaline (with Isofourine for anesthesia) and Heartguard Plus. GRAND MAL. 25 lbs. and put on 1/4 grain of Phenobarb. (16.2 mg.) Seizure free for a month. Phenobarb levels after one month showed her bareley covered by the Phennobarb. but her Alaline Phosphotase dropped from 799 (pre-phenobarb.) to 499.
I gave her Heartguard Plus. Two days later she began seizing/
Next month, unkniowing I have her Heartguard Plus and she began seizing again.
Third month--Heartguard plus and she began seizing again.
Her Phenobarb is now increased from 1 tab (1/4 grain or 16.2 mg.) am and pm to 2 tabs am and pm.
Of course, every bad symptom that comes with the Phenobarb. is there, but she has not had a seizure since.
HEARTGUARD IS THE CULPRIT......I have caled the mfg. of Heartguard, but they would not admit to a problem with seiaures.
Any suggestions. ????? Mosquitoes are bad in my neighborhood and the season is just approaching. My vet suggested another brand, Interceptor?? Advantage????...another drug for herartworm. I think he is less VIGILANT than I am. Suggestions?
Beth
Cincinnati, ohio

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Sun May 14, 2006 7:27 pm

Hi Beth,
I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. You may want to try Interceptor. Some dogs do have problems with Heartguard as it contains Ivermectin. Interceptor does not. I switched quiet a while ago due to the fact the my two pups belong to the hearding group, and a lot of the herding group breed have a low tolerence to the Ivermectin. Just a suggestion, it may help. My epi does not have problems with the Interceptor.
Debbie
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Mon May 15, 2006 7:15 am

Dr. Jean Dodds recommended Heartguard (NO PLUSES or combos!!) or Interceptor. I have my guy on Interceptor because it takes care of 4 parasites. It may be that you used the combo and it was too much for him.

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon May 15, 2006 5:56 pm

All those drugs at once are too much for your little dog.
Read up on Dr Jean Dodds (through Guardian Angels) for her views on vaccinations/flea treatments etc.)

One way we stop the mozzies here in New Zealand is to add garlic to their food. The mozzies hate the taste in the blood and do not bite them - also good flea treatment.
Works well for humans too !!!
I used to use either Frontline or Advantage but as I was not sure if these products had someting to do with the seizures I stopped using all treatments.

You won't get any manufacturer to admit that their product is to blame, even after proof.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux