more seizures--Help!!

What additions to CEN would you like to see?

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Sun May 06, 2007 3:18 am

Stephen - you do not say what the vaccination is that is required to get him groomed.
Stay away from any treatment that has PLUS in the name.
If vaccinations are required get your vet to titer and see if the dog is still covered. Usually any vaccinations are good for at least three years.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

MK's mom

Post by MK's mom » Sun May 06, 2007 5:18 am

Stphen,

Is it a rabie shot required to get your dog groomed? Please tell us which vaccination is required. If it's a vaccine that triggers seizures in your dog, is the grooming that important? I'm like Kurt, I have my own tack box with all the scissors and clippers, and I do it myself. Not because of vaccines, I'm particular and won't let anyone cut my dog's hair!! LOL

KUrt,

I use Interceptor on MK, it was one of two heartworm meds that Dr. Jean Dodds suggested last year to me. The other one is Frontline. For fleas, she said to use Advantix, but no combos or pluses. MK did fine, didn't seize last year at all after a dose and he got his first dose for this year a week ago and he did fine again. Of course, the dogs are all different, but liek my neuro said, it's better to have a dog have a seizure (as long as it wasn't a cluster) than to get heartworm.
Nathan
3.5 yo Irish Setter boy
First seizure 7/26/2013
Last seizure 3/24/2014
Last seizure 9/4/2009

Aug 17, 2004- Sept. 22, 2009
May the shamrocks fall softly sweetpea

lovemypups

Post by lovemypups » Sun May 06, 2007 9:17 am

Stephen,
I'm sorry to hear about Ojo. As we all know, all dogs are different and they will probably react differently to the medications as well as flea/heartworm treatments. I'm not sure if you gave the Interceptor and the flea treatment on the same day, same time, but we have used interceptor for 3 years with no problems. Many vets do suggest using Interceptor instead of Heartguard due to Ivermectin sensitivity in the hearding groups as well as other dogs. (Ivermectine is found in Heartguard) We also use Frontline for fleas (not the plus) with no problems. I make sure though I use frontline the First Day of the month and give the Interceptor on the 15TH of the month. We also get all shots once a year, again with no problems. This is where all dogs react differently though. I hope Ojo is doing better and please keep us posted, we care.
Debbie
Angel Casey
05/03/04-10/24/07
and his non epi sister Callie

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Mon May 07, 2007 8:32 am

Yes, I gave him the Interceptor and Frontline Plus at the same time last month. The vaccination required at the groomers is for kennel cough. Thanks everyone.

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Mon May 07, 2007 8:52 am

the bortadella vaccine is not very effective but I am sure they require it. I don't bring Finn to a groomer or a kennel so he never gets one. I do know the injection version is less stressful than the one that is "blown" up the dogs nose. Does the dog need a groomer?
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08

skrpio

Post by skrpio » Mon May 07, 2007 1:31 pm

The kennel cough vaccination is essentially usless and required to pacifiy those with business like groomers. There are so many strains of kennel cough that the vaccines only cover a very small range of these. The chances are that your dog will get kennel cough anyway.
Learn to groom your dog. A friend of mine breeds schnauzers and she does all her own grooming.
I can check with her if you wish on what treatment she uses on her dogs but Dr Dodds does not advise using anything with PLUS in the name and certainly not at the same time as other treatments. Spread out 2 weeks apart.
Last edited by skrpio on Mon May 07, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jane
In loving memory of my special KiKi Bean
Seizure free forever now
Nov 25th 2002 - Nov 1st 2006
Dogue De Bordeaux

Finndog

Post by Finndog » Mon May 07, 2007 1:37 pm

you're right about the "plus" but I can't find it locally, the vets really just carry the regular at this point. I will have to look on line.
Finn, Irish setter
First Seizure 2/2/05
Last Seizure, 10/27/06
Lost my boy on 12/10/08