Seizure's and bloat

What additions to CEN would you like to see?

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Loma I. Clark

Seizure's and bloat

Post by Loma I. Clark » Sun Mar 19, 2000 11:30 am

Good morning! I'm new to this list and one of my vet's, Suzanne Stack DVM , told me about this list and thought I'd find it useful. I have a 4 1/2 year old spayed Irish Setter who started having seizures when she was about 18 mo's. They have progressed to what I would call "clusters" and she usually has them about 8 months apart. They are lasting longer and longer with the last one lasting almost 2 hours before we could get them under control. She got enough Valium shot in her to put a horse to sleep. MHO She had the cluster of seizures about 4 weeks ago and as she started panting more and more, her stomach started swelling and I thought she'd bloat. She didn't but it was now a new concern for me. Has anyone had any experience with seizures causing a bloat situation?

She was on 300 mg. of KBr 2x daily but we have upped her med's to 450 2x daily now and plan to have a blood panel run in a few weeks. The only side effects I've noticed with the KBr is her rear legs are weak and they tremble alot. Other than that I'm pleased with the med. she is only. Only wish they didn't cost so much.

Thank you for your time,
Loma