My Daisey's story

Getting started with the CEN discussion forum.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:11 am

My Daisey's story

Post by Daisy'sDad » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:43 pm

I am not new to Canine Epilepsy, but I am new to the forums. I wanted to share the story of my pug Daisey with the forum. Please forgive any misspellings or mistakes. I am still trying to take in what has happened.
We got Daisey Mae in January of 2009. Her previous owner could not handle her seizures and was giving her away on craigslist. I immediately fell in love with her. She was a beautiful, standard sized pug. As we rode home with her, she sat in my lap all the way. She did not appear frightened or apprehensive about the ride or the change of scenery. When we got home, Daisey found a toy to play with and found a chair to curl up in. She knew she was home. Daisey was on Phenobarbital at the time for her seizures. Each month her seizures would get progressively worse. The first time she had one around me, it was a single seizure, the next month it was three over a few days. The cycle continued until her seizures got to where they were about an hour apart for 1-2 days a month. Her vet put her on an IV drip to stop the seizures and changed her medicine to help control them in the future. She was put on 400Mg of Potassium Bromide 1x a day and 100Mg of Zonasimide 2x a day. I was also given clorazepate to use during seizures to help. This combo worked for a while. The seizures were not gone, but they became manageable.
In May of 2011, the seizures started becoming more violent, so our vet upped the dose of Zonasimide to 150Mg in the morning and 100Mg at night. This dosage increase kept the seizures away four 4 months. They were no breakthrough seizures. But all good things must come to an end. Around September 14th, The seizures started coming back suddenly. I took Daisey to the vet. The vet suggested either upping the Zonasimide again or switching to Keppra. I chose to up the Zonasimide to 150Mg in the morning and 150Mg at night. I was also using Diazepam Rectally to control cluster seizures at night, as that is when the seizures were the worst. The change in the medicine did not make a difference, so on Tuesday the 20th, I consulted the vet and changed the medicine to Keppra, starting with 250Mg doses 3x a day and added clorazepate 2x a day to the regime. By Friday, the Keppra was not working either and I was keeping Daisey “doped up” on clorazepate and Diazepam. I called the vet and we upped it to 1 ½ Keppra pills a day 3 x a day. The vet also suggested if this didn’t work, go up to 2 Keppra pills 3x a day. I tried the first suggest for 2 days, but it didn’t seem to work, so I upped the dose on Sunday night. Daisey had a cluster of seizures Monday, so I kept her on sedated so she would rest. Tuesday morning, at 12:30 AM, Daisey had a cluster of three seizures so I gave her some Diazepam to get her to sleep. This dose did not stop the seizures and she was not coming completely out of them, so I administered a second dose at around 1:20. This dose did not work, so I tried getting a clorazepate in her. At around 2:15, there was still no break in the seizures so I gave her another Clorazepate. At 3:00 there was no change in the seizures. I had to wait around til the vets office opened at 8:00 as we do not have an emergency vet. The closest one is an hour away. The seizures started subsiding at around 5:00 AM, but the dog I loved was no longer there. She did not respond to anything I tried or try moving. All she could do was breath heavily.
At around 8:25 this morning, 9/27/11, Daisey was helped to the rainbow bridge by our vet.

Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:07 am

Re: My Daisey's story

Post by Katie » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:46 pm

Daisey's Dad, Daisey was so lucky to have you for the last years of her life. I am sorry this last day was so difficult, but you must know you did all you could for Daisey and best of all you gave her love.



Posts: 15
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:39 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: My Daisey's story

Post by Cuillin » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:31 pm

Daisey's Dad, you did all you could for Daisey - she was a lucky dog to "find" you.

The helplessness of watching Daisey's seizures and frustration of the medication not controlling them, must have been agonising for you - this is such a cruel condition to witness.

I have no words of consolation that can reach through your current pain - I send a virtual hug and my hope that, knowing Daisey is now at peace, you will find some peace of your own soon.


Posts: 238
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:29 am
Location: London, UK

Re: My Daisey's story

Post by Mandypop » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:56 am

Dear Daisy'sDad

Your story made me cry.

Like the others have said, what a lucky dog Daisy was to be owned by you.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
Poppy - 9 year old whippet/greyhound (20 kg)

First seizure- 17th Oct 2006
Last seizure - 17th Nov 2009

90mg Pb twice daily
320mg KBr daily

Posts: 252
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:21 am
Location: Morristown, NJ

Re: My Daisey's story

Post by richmauer » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:36 am

Daisy's dad,

So very sorry to hear your story and unfortunate ending. My Peanut lasted 7 years with epilepsy, but Daisy's story is the exact same, just in a shorter time frame. You did more than most for Daisy and I'm sure she was worth every bit of love you gave her.
Precious Peanut in doggie heaven 6/25/10 - 10 years old
English Cocker female 10 y/o "Sundae"
Shiatzu Male 10 y/o "Casey"

Post Reply