Adding Potassium Bromide - quality of life

This is the place for general questions about drugs, long-term treatment concerns, possible influences of other drugs (such as antibiotics, heartworm preventatives, or anesthetics) for epileptic dogs, and other concerns. Please note that we cannot make specific recommendations for individual dogs - for this, please consult your veterinarian.

Moderator: Box40Rin

Alliezig

Adding Potassium Bromide - quality of life

Post by Alliezig » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:31 pm

Hi -
Ziggy is having seizures - grand mal - on what could be said to be a frequent basis - 2/11; 2/20; 3/3 - and in addition he is having focal seizures almost every day - I keep a diary. My vet wants to add potassium bromide but told me it could make Ziggy wobbly. I am hesitant to do so - Ziggy is somewhat happy though very fearful about noises and will not go out of the house except to the yard with me. I think that maybe my expectations are just to keep Ziggy stable and content and I fear making his life more difficult with additional medication. He is currently on:
Keppra 3x day 500 mg each dose; 1.5 grams of Phenobarbital 2 times a day. In addition, I am giving him CBD oil 2 x a day.
Also my vet suggested a consultation with a neurologist but I know that would lead to an MRI which again, would be financially difficult and hard on Ziggy.

I guess my question is has anyone else added Potassium Bromide to a regimen such as Ziggy is on - he is a 64 pound lab/shepherd mix.

Thank you.
Mary Lou and Ziggy
1000 mg Keppra 3 x day; 1.5 grams Phenobarbital 2 x day

GentleJacob's Mom

Re: Adding Potassium Bromide - quality of life

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:48 am

I don't have any personal experience with Potassium Bromide but I know that it can cause hind leg ataxia that can take anywhere from a few weeks to two months to resolve. There have been many dogs here that have done well with it and others that for whatever reason don't handle it and have to be taken off. Each dog is different.
I think it would be a good idea to talk to a neurologist. They can recommend an MRI but you don't have to do it. We couldn't afford one either, but they can have more experience with epilepsy and may be able to pinpoint a problem or make suggestions for adjusting or adding meds.

Lynne

Joni Aveni

Post by Joni Aveni » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:31 am

We added potassium bromide after Rugby (2YO Border Collie) went into status on Feb. 16. The next couple of weeks were a nightmare, and we had to lower the loading dose because he was walking into corners unable to find his way out, pacing constantly, and lost control of his bowels and bladder. It was horrible but after a couple of weeks (and lowering to maintenance dose) those symptoms have gone away. We are still diapering him overnight just to be sure, but otherwise he is back to his happy self. We have yet to determine if the KBr is effective. He had two seizures at 13 days (3 days more than he usually manages) - one in the AM and one in the PM - but they weren't as severe. He's due for another next week if his usual pattern persists. I've heard KBr can take 2-3 months to be effective.

Alliezig

Post by Alliezig » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:43 pm

Sorry to hear of Rugby's seizures - he is so young. I hope he is doing better. My fear of Ziggy not coming out of a seizure is great - I did find two 24/7 dog ambulance services in Las Vegas that would transport him as I am not able to pick him up. Ziggy, like Rugby also has some what of a pattern - This whole thing has been one of the most stressful situations I have ever been in.

Thank you for the information on the potassium bromide - for now, I am going to decline using it. Ziggy is on CBD oil two times a day but there is no way to know if it is helping but it does not seem to affect him, i.e., drowsy, etc.
I am leaning toward seeing a neurologist but not the MRI - you are correct, the neurologist may have additional insights into treatment, etc. Ziggy is 6.5 years old and I am curious also about the onset of seizures at that age and the neurologist may have additional input on his condition.
Thank you again, Joni, for this information and thank you to Gentle Jacobs Mom also.
Mary Lou and Ziggy
1000 mg Keppra 3 x day; 1.5 grams Phenobarbital 2 x day