Golden retriever puppy with epilepsy- I have questions

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

kaibeedie

Golden retriever puppy with epilepsy- I have questions

Post by kaibeedie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:14 am

I brought home my sweet little golden retriever puppy Bruno on August 10. He was 8 weeks old at the time. I took him to the vet the next day to get checked out and he got a round of puppy shots. Fast forward to the following Wednesday night and Bruno has his first seizure. His first one lasted ten minutes and was extremely violent. When he came out of it he was so disoriented that he ran face first into a wall and I had to hold him until he stopped trying to run around. Bruno had another seizure at 3 am the next morning. This one lasted 5 minutes and he was disoriented afterwards. We rushed to the pet emergency room an hour away. There, they ruled out toxins, blood sugar issues, liver shunt, and many others and decided he has epilepsy. He was started on phenobarbital on 8/18. On 8/29 I took him back to his primary vet because he had a knot on his neck (swollen lymph node) and he got his last round of puppy shots. We were seizure free from 8/19 to 9/3, when he then had two seizures. On 9/4 he had no seizures and I called his vet and told him what had happened and was instructed to double up his phenobarbital and wait a few days to see if it helped. On 9/5 and now today 9/6 he has two seizures per day, roughly 12 hours apart.

Has anyone had any experience with puppies having seizures 4-5 days after vaccinations?

And what about trifexis? He was started on that as well.

Bruno is now almost 12 weeks old and has had 10 seizures total that we know of since we got him 4 weeks ago.

How do you handle leaving them home alone to go to work and such? I padded the walls of his crate.

What has helped you and your pup? And any other advice?

GentleJacob's Mom

Re: Golden retriever puppy with epilepsy- I have questions

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:32 pm

I'm so sorry about your sweet puppy.
I don't mean to scare you but did your vet have you start Bruno on Trifexis? If not please stop giving it to him. I never tell anyone to stop giving something without discussing it with their vet, but It's known to cause seizures and even the ads say if there is a history of seizures not to give it. It was on our list of "nevers".
Also, again, I'm not trying to judge here, but why would your vet administer vaccines before getting control of the seizures? You need to talk to him/her about this. We never give vaccines if our animal's immune systems are compromised in any way until it's safe to do it. There is a lot of debate as to whether vaccinations lower the threshold for seizures, but I always land on the side of caution unless the dog or cat has been in the vicinity of a sick animal and has to be vaccinated.
Jake was refractory and he couldn't be left alone because once he would start to seize, if we weren't here to give him rectal Valium and extra meds he wouldn't stop. So I left my job and worked from home. Some people get cams for their computers to keep watch while they're at work, and some have friends or family stop in and check for them. It's very scary leaving them alone, but sometimes you don't have a choice.
If you are comfortable with your vet, sit down with them and go over the options you have to stop the second seizure from happening. Extra Pb can help with that as well as rectal Valium. If you have any doubt about your vet it's always a good idea to get a second opinion. Epilepsy is very scary and it can be hard to find the right drugs to get control because each dog can respond differently. But I've also known of many dogs, including our vet's dog, that get control with one drug and that's all it takes.
I do hope you find control very soon.

Lynne

kaibeedie

Post by kaibeedie » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:57 pm

The emergency hospital Bruno stayed at as well as my vet both said to at least finish out his puppy shots to protect him. Also our vet said we should start him on heartworm preventative; but he didn’t specifically say trifexis. When I went to checkout at his clinic the lady at the desk suggested trifexis and I didn’t think anything of it as i hadn’t heard about flea preventatives being a no-no yet. The hospital did give us oral keppra liquid to give him after his seizures to try and keep him from having another one but they did say it only lasts 8 hours and his second seizures have been 12 hours after the first one this week. I called my vet back yesterday to let him know Bruno was still having seizures after increasing his phenobarbital dose, and was instructed to wait it out a few days to see if they stopped occurring once he had been on the increased dose for a few days. I just hate this for poor Bruno

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:52 pm

I am sorry. I'm not trying to scare you. I was surprised they would give you Trifexis for a puppy with seizures. There are relatively safe alternatives, but anything with Trifexis or Comfortis should be avoided. It says that on their website.
There are as many differing opinions on vaccines and heart worm protection and seizure dogs as there are vets so it can be confusing. If you need just flea and tick prevention regular Frontline is a good option. It can be hard to find. We used Frontline Plus at one point and instead of applying it in one spot at the back of the head we put four spots starting from the back of the head about 4" apart down his neck and the beginning of the spine not giving any chance that he could lick it. I hope this helps.
As far as treatment it's still early on. I know it doesn't feel that way, but the meds need time to work. There are some dogs that have done well on CBD oil also. I have heard that vets are leaning toward using liquid Keppra instead of rectal Valium because it's easier on their system. They're calling it a cluster buster.
This can be overwhelming especially in the beginning. The waiting to see is very hard. It breaks your heart to see them going through it.
Let us know how you and Bruno are doing.

Lynne

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Wow that is sad that a little puppy is going thru that already. Already on meds for seizures at 8 weeks old. I sure hate that for you and your little one. Maybe once the Trifexis is out of his system they will stop? I feel for you.

kaibeedie

Post by kaibeedie » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:37 pm

It is really hard to watch him go through this, he has had five today so going to the vet as soon as they open!

jaragr

Post by jaragr » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:26 am

A little baby having to go through that. It just doesn't make sense to me, but my 14 year old dog having them for the last 5 years doesn't make sense to me either. Something is up with that little brain of Bruno's. I hope it works itself out so he's not on medication his whole life.

kaibeedie

Post by kaibeedie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:29 pm

We had to put my little Bruno to sleep. He would not stop seizing no matter what medicine they gave him, they even tried to sedate him and he was seizing through that even. He was suffering so bad and it was starting to affect his brain function from seizing non stop. He would just immediately go into another seizure. We are absolutely heartbroken.

GentleJacob's Mom

Post by GentleJacob's Mom » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:46 pm

I am so sorry that you lost Bruno. You did the right thing even though I know it doesn't feel that way right now. It was out of your control. You did everything you could and there really was nothing else you could do to stop this horrible disease.
My heartfelt sympathies to you.

Lynne

SpencerBhumi

Post by SpencerBhumi » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:06 pm

I am sorry to hear of this sad news.

Take heart in knowing that you are a caring and worthy pet owner, doing your best provide and care for Bruno to the end. Stand strong and let this grief pass - Bruno is now free and peaceful.

Keeping you in my prayers.

Trevor.
In memory of Spencer 7-12-2005 - 22-8-2017

xxcesarxx

Post by xxcesarxx » Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Im so sorry about your loss.