CEN

CEN

Canine Epilepsy Network

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: my American Cocker Spaniel has epilepsy -what to do??
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:19 am 

(i dont speak english that well , but i hope you can understand and help me with my problem)
we have American Cocker Spaniel , who was 1year and 8 months old when she firts had cramps(it was in december)!! she put her head between her hegs down the ground and shaked as she was freezing to death, her teeth were cloused together , we couldnt open it ( firts we thought that she had swallen something and was chokeing ) !! then the cramps ended and she was happy again , she was running and everything seemed to be ok , but then it happened again (5 minutes later)!!! it wasnt that grievous as the first one , but then she couldnt stand on her feet any more - one side was like little bit paralysed !! but it didnt last that long -everything seemed to be ok with her after that !!!
now it hapend again(26.march)it was mostly the same as the first one !! i didnt see it but my sister told me that she wasnt that happy between these cramps this time !!!

we know that its very important that she came out of these cramps by her own , we didnt had to inject her ( to help her come out of it)
NB : he was restpondig to her name all the time during the cramps period!!!!

we visited also a vet doctor after the first time he had it , but he didnt find anything then !! but now it happend the 2 time - so we think that now its for sure !!

please help us , tell us about your experience !! tell us how to help her , what to do , or is there any good medicin !! anyhting at all??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:39 am 

Katrina, I am not sure where you? What you are describing sound more like complex focal seizures and not cramps. You shoud try to find a vet or neurologist who has experience in diagnosing and treating seizures and epilepsy. There are many tests that can be conducted to see if there are specific causes for your dogs problems.

Lost my boy on 12/10/08

Post subject: ?????
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:25 am 

whats the difference bethween epilepsy and seizure????
can enyone expalin , is this better than epilepsy??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:25 am 

This is the definition of epilepsy:

a medical disorder involving episodes of irregular electrical discharge in the brain and characterized by the periodic sudden loss or impairment of consciousness, often accompanied by convulsions (seizures)

The seizures are a result of the electrical discharge in the brain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:10 pm 

Katrina
Epilepsy is the name given to the seizures by some people. Sometimes they are refered to as Epileptic seizures although not all seizures are caused by epilepsy. Some seizures are caused by toxins (poisons) or stress for the dog or by someting they are allergic to.
You need to take your dog to a vet or neurologist who understands seizures and get them to do tests to find out why your dog has started to seize. If there is more seizing then it can be controlled by drugs called Potassium Bromide and Phenobarbitol.
If your vet says the best thing to do is to put your dog down - GO FIND ANOTHER VET as this is the last option you should consider.
You should look to see if you have changed what you are feeding your dog. Have you used different cleaning products? Has the dog been stung by an insect? Has the dog just had vaccinations?
What country do you live in as you do not say ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:29 am 

we live in estonia

Post subject: Re: my American Cocker Spaniel has epilepsy -what to do??
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:44 am 

I would suggest you to find a good vet doctor and explain the situation. Studies shows that diseases like elbow dysplasia, gastric torsion, and epilepsy can occasionally affect this breed. So this might be a symptom of epilepsy. Treat it before the disease completely conquers her.