Dachshund with Seizures

Share your story, questions, concerns.

Moderators: Box40Rin, Liz Hansen

Brenda

Dachshund with Seizures

Post by Brenda » Fri Aug 04, 2000 8:33 pm

My 14-1/2 year old Dachshund, Mahogany, began experiencing seizures 1 year ago. I've had some experience with seizures...we recently lost a 16 year old Chihuahua who had seizures from the time she was 3. The Chihuahua exhibited, what I consider, to be more "classic" symptoms. She would seek me out, sit on my feet, become extremely rigid, and fall down. Afterwards, she would be disoriented for approximately 20 minutes.

But Mahogany's seizures are quite different. They always occur when she's sleeping, she lets out a horrible scream, thrashes about, and 75% of the time, urinates. But if I can get to her in time, when I first hear her scream, I can touch her and talk to her and the seizure will usually stop...no thrashing or urinating. She's never disoriented after an episode. She's been tested for hypoglycemia, hypothyroidism, all blood tests, and my vet says he has 2-year-olds that don't have as healthy of bloodwork as she does. She was on Phenobarbital at the end of last year, until we went on vacation. And no one could give her medication except for us, so she was weaned off the meds. Everything was fine for a few months, but then the seizures returned, one every 2 weeks or so, and now, 4 seizures in 4 nights. Could the 2 dogs have such different epileptic seizures?

Ned Patterson DVM

Post by Ned Patterson DVM » Mon Aug 07, 2000 9:31 am

Brenda,

Thrashing in the middle of the night, with urination in a dog that does not usually have urinary accidents does sound like a seizure. Also in general many dogs have most of the seizures at night due to the brain electrical activity during sleep. However it is not usually possible for you to get a dog out of a seizure, which is a little odd. It is possible that these events are periods of disorientation or fear,and not actual seizures.

Since the episodes have gotten worse since being off the phenobarbitol that is another indication that these episodes are seizures.

Seizure manifestions can be fairly different in different dogs. With any dog whose seizures started after 6 years of age I would recommend that you and you vet consider a referal to a veterinary neurologist for a full work up to detemine the cause of the episodes (see the canine epilepsy basics section). With the current frequency of episodes starting back up on medications is a possibility.

[This message has been edited by Ned Patterson DVM (edited 08-07-2000).]

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Mon Aug 14, 2000 8:03 am

Mahogany had another seizure/episode and I paid very close attention to her level of consciousness. I called her name while she was having this episode and she was definitely able to respond to her name, even though she was violently shaking. After 5 seconds of talking to her, she stopped, did not urinate, shook her head, and off she went to eat. I really hate to put her on the Phenobarb if these aren't true seizures.

Brenda

Post by Brenda » Mon Sep 11, 2000 3:15 pm

#1 MAHOGANY
Between the two responses, I'm almost convinced that Mahogany's experiencing seizures. But bear with me, one more episode to explain. Last night, I heard her starting to seize, got to her literally within seconds, held her little face between my hands, told her it would be OK, and out of she came. Her howling stopped, her shaking stopped...all within 10 - 15 seconds. She sat up, looked at me with that "I want a treat" look, and when I sat back down, she went back to sleep.

Vets seem to lump any unusual experience into the "seizure" category, and I'm particularly hesitant putting Mahogany in that category because of something I read by Dr. W.B. Thomas regarding REM Disorder. Any thoughts?

#2 MOJO
MoJo is a standard, 14.5 year old male dachshund. Saturday night I heard an unusual noise, and it was Mo, by my feet, shaking (as if he were freezing, but not stiff like Mahogany's episodes), and the noise was his teeth chattering. I picked him up and held him for over 15 minutes, all the time his teeth clicking together like a mechanical toy. He was alert, and for lack of a better word, pliable. Seizure?